Minimun wage query?

WeeFlower

Hi,

My niece is working in her first job out of college. Her Employer paid her the following:

Gross €741.37 working 89 hours for one month.

Her Paye was nil

Her USC was €12.92

ER PRSI contribution was €31.51

EE PRSI = Nil

Her Net pay was €728.45 which was paid into her bank account.

Can someone tell me if she is getting minimum wage?. I see it that she's not.

If not, can someone advise how this issue can be approached by her with the Employer?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Wee Flower

Do any of these apply?

Sub-minimum rates

Since 1 July 2011 the National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates, see also 'Rates' below:
  • An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
  • An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
  • An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

Rule number one - Do not get involved in a relation's or even a sibling's working terms and conditions unless you are 100% sure they are being wronged and they have tried all avenues themselves to get it corrected as there is nothing worse for an employer than to have some busy body thinking they are right when they probably aren't.

Do not call NERA unless you have proof of wrongdoing.

An employer can quite easily withdraw employment of a staff member in the first 12 months and extremely easy in the first 3 months of probation. - And certainly I would have no hesitation withdrawing employment from someone if parents or uncles started to get involved as I employee the person themselves, NOT their family and assuming they are over 18, they are adults and should be able to fend for themselves.

Now to probably give you possible answers...

Who has calculated the 89 hours - your niece or is it written on a payslip? I ask because breaks are not paid in the workplace, so a 9-6 with a one hour lunch is an 8 hour day.

What age is your niece.

She should have a basic contract / terms of employment (should be given within 4 weeks of starting, but can be up to 8 weeks without the company getting any flak.

Certainly have a check on things, and get her to get terms and conditions - she can say its needed for grant application or because she will be renting and a landlord wants it, or she is looking for a student loan.

But just don't get involved directly, her job will disappear very quickly especially in todays employment market.

Back