Minimum Wage Increase

Hard one to call.
You'd see people cleaning/ cooking/ taking care of people/ factory workers etc where the management want to pay as little as possible and extract as much as possible.

This is where €12.70 is absolutely needed and they earn every cent.

Similarly, long term employees in retail and hospitality. Again, mostly worth every cent of the increase.

I can certainly see employers being more careful with new recruits and look to get more productivity out of current staff. Certainly I'm looking at cutting an hour off many shifts if it can be done without affecting business.

The other positive is that it opens a bigger gap between jobseeker allowance and minimum wage.

Hard one to call.
You'd see people cleaning/ cooking/ taking care of people/ factory workers etc where the management want to pay as little as possible and extract as much as possible.
Every employer wants that, or should want that. If they don't then we end up with the State sector and people dying on trolleys.
This is where €12.70 is absolutely needed and they earn every cent.

Similarly, long term employees in retail and hospitality. Again, mostly worth every cent of the increase.

I can certainly see employers being more careful with new recruits and look to get more productivity out of current staff. Certainly I'm looking at cutting an hour off many shifts if it can be done without affecting business.

The other positive is that it opens a bigger gap between jobseeker allowance and minimum wage.
I'm more in favour of an increasing scale of wage based on years in a particular job. The cleaner with 5 years experience should be better at their job than the one who just started.

Back