Minimum amt of shares that can be bought

I don't agree with the recommendation for investing with US brokers. He would be investing in US shares which are more liquid, more volatile and carry a $ currency risk that has been hanging around the last 2 years. Yes it's much cheaper to invest in the US but not necessarily a good idea for a novice with small funds.

You could mitigate the risk somewhat by investing in ADR's of European shares but there are still the costs of converting Euros to Dollars and back again when you take your profit which might outweigh any savings on commissions.

AFAIK there is no Annual Account fee charged by Campbell, O'Connor. No mention was made of this when I recently opened an account with CO'C. Here are the commission charges: 1.5% up to €8,888 subject to a minimum of €25.40 (or GB£20).

There is a 1% Stamp Duty charge on Irish Registered Shares and a 0.5% on UK Registered Shares.

"When dealing in a non-Irish or UK stock you will also have to pay an agent's commission fee; US commissiions are approx. 0.5%, subject to a US$50 minimum commission on top of our normal commission per deal."

In view of these charges, the minimum amount invested in Irish shares should ideally be €1,700 at a cost of €25.50 plus €17 stamp duty (1%). Since it is usually recommended on AAM that investment in shares should be long term, it would hardly be likely that a person would sell in the first year especially with a share like Ryanair?

My own view as a newcomer is that if the annual gain is at least 10% after all charges are deducted, it is still twice as much as a deposit account would yield. More would be great! Thanks to CCOVICH for mentioning the annual exemption of €1,270 - very encouraging for a beginner with moderate ambitions regarding profit.

PS Is the annual exemption cumulative on an annual basis?

Last edited:
Back