Mince Pies in the shops

fizzelina

So noone else seems to have started a thread about the mince pies and Christmas cakes currently on sale in Aldi. This is not in LOS as I don't intend to give out about it, rather I love them and Christmas and sure why not start early!

nom nom nom mince pies :) don't like christmas cake though

I make my own mince pies and jam pies every christmas, I bring some to the FILs for christmas day - but I always keep enough of a secret stash at home for myself to munch on for the entire season and invariably wonder why Ive gotten so fat come January! Aw well - I need my winter coat :)

I make my own mince pies and jam pies every christmas,

+1, or rather my wife makes her own, and the mince too :D !

After eating those, and eating my own mother's mince & mince pies as a child, anything shop-bought just tastes wrong.

+1, or rather my wife makes her own, and the mince too :D !

After eating those, and eating my own mother's mince & mince pies as a child, anything shop-bought just tastes wrong.

oooh - I would like that mince recipe!
My pie recipe is from an extremely old copy of a Good Housewifes cookbook - it uses lard in the pastry - good old fashioned sinful pastry!!

Tesco in Midleton had the selection boxes on offer last Friday - 10th September. I'm sure it was earlier in September last year. I usually wait until I see a really good offer (like each bar for about 25c) and then buy them but the rule is only if they're all bars we like anyway. That and a tin of Roses or Quality Street - nice pantry in my house by December (trying not to open them until then is not easy).

Tesco in Midleton had the selection boxes on offer last Friday - 10th September. I'm sure it was earlier in September last year. I usually wait until I see a really good offer (like each bar for about 25c) and then buy them but the rule is only if they're all bars we like anyway. That and a tin of Roses or Quality Street - nice pantry in my house by December (trying not to open them until then is not easy).

Tesco Midleton also had the Roses/Celebrations tins on offer just inside by the flowers, they don't seem to be moving though. Love the mince pies too, got loads last Christmas and since I'm the only one that eats them they lasted 'til nearly Easter.

I agree it's good to buy them now and also the tins of sweets and chocolate kimberely and that way you have them all bought to give out on Christmas visits and it spreads the cost getting things from Sept - Dec instead of in one hit.
I remember growing up Santa brought my siblings and I a selection box and it was the best thing ever, the only one we got and we savoured every mouthful. Whereas now kids don't even think they are a big deal and certainly not a special Christmassy treat.....and I'm not even that old. It's a shame.

I remember growing up Santa brought my siblings and I a selection box and it was the best thing ever, the only one we got and we savoured every mouthful.

Ditto, especially the curly wurly and the small dairy milk bar, yum.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Ye mentioned the "Chr...." word! I haven't been on my summer hols yet, gimme a break!

(PS - bah humbug!)

What's a jam pie? :confused:

Its a mince pie made with strawberry jam instead of mince - they tend to be a bit more leaky so you use less jam than you would mince in them.

Some of the in laws dont like mince pies, but they love jam pies!

Was in Woodies the other night and they have C*******s trees and decorations out for sale.

Well Paddy gets the mince pie since he's warmer!! It's 28 next week actually and I don't care what anyone says that's still mid-20's!!

It was your mature writing style that made me guess older :)

Course youre still mid-20s!

PaddyW - have a mince pie - well done!

Back