Mimimum Wage Debate last night on TV3

For the vast majority of people in minimum and low wage jobs, there is no training, no development opportunities and no support to move onwards or upwards. Combine this with poor schooling and a social environment that does not value work, and the end result is that few people with develop beyond a low wage environment.

Thus, the need for protection.

Much low paid work requies skills - eg. bar/restaurant work.

Given the current state of the jobs market - many highly educated people are taking mimimum wage jobs.

There was a recent case of a cimena being opened getting bucket loads of CVs.

If low wages was the answer to an economic recovery countries like Somalia would be economic superpowers.

I think this is one of the biggest red herrings advocated by the unions. Nobody is suggesting that we should bring our cost base down to Somalia - or China for that matter. (I think we all agree that the future for Ireland is not competing with China producing plastic children's toys). What we do need to achieve though IMO is to become one of the cheapest/most attractive countries to do business in (in the markets that we operate in) so we can attract foreign investment and also be in a position to export internationally.

The dole rate of €5.50 an hour acts as a protection against exploitation. The minimum wage at the highest after tax minimum wage in the EU acts as a barrier to job creation.

In reality, the dole rate is a lot higher.

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcon...upplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement/

A single person in Dublin can get €529 per month in rent supplement which works out at in excess of €3 per hour.

This means the dole rate is at least €8.50 per hour. Probably more when you cost the other benefits they may receive.

Reducing the minimum wage is meaningless when the current minimum wage is similar or less than the dole rate.

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcon...upplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement/

A single person in Dublin can get €529 per month in rent supplement which works out at in excess of €3 per hour.

This means the dole rate is at least €8.50 per hour. Probably more when you cost the other benefits they may receive.

Reducing the minimum wage is meaningless when the current minimum wage is similar or less than the dole rate.

I agree. On a personallevel for those living on welfare it must seem offensive to head that they are getting too much but the hard economic fact is that the floor from which all wage levels stem is far too high in this country.

I have said it before but 'till people from the North are driving down here to do their shopping we will be too expensive.

And that is just using the figures for a single person.
My friend was unfortunate enough to lose his job at the start of the year and is now suriving on dole. He has 3 children and is getting €420 a week. He has a mortgage but if he was renting, according to your link he would be entitled to €1,100 a month.
In this case I think someone would have to take a job worth approx 40K a year to be better off.
Will there be many jobs at this salary on offer over the coming years?

And that is just using the figures for a single person.
My friend was unfortunate enough to lose his job at the start of the year and is now suriving on dole. He has 3 children and is getting €420 a week. He has a mortgage but if he was renting, according to your link he would be entitled to €1,100 a month.
In this case I think someone would have to take a job worth approx 40K a year to be better off.
Will there be many jobs at this salary on offer over the coming years?

Wow, your friend would get €673.85 a week plus the childrens allowance for three kids. That's a net income of €35'000 a year (plus childrens allowance which he would get anyway).

Wow, your friend would get €673.85 a week plus the childrens allowance for three kids. That's a net income of €35'000 a year (plus childrens allowance which he would get anyway).

Yep, he actually has a mortgage so is getting some mortgage protection for 6 months and then he will get help from social welfare for another 12 months. I think they will pay the interest. He would prefer to work but has admitted he is under no pressure to do so until the middle of next year.
I think his previous job was only paying approx 35K a year so he has admitted when he subtracts the money he spent on petrol and tolls he is no worse off.

Back