Milford Plaza (NY) - Safety Deposit box

kmelvin

Hi,

I'm staying in the Mildford PLaza Hotel next week for 4 nights (bit of a kip but cheap).

I'm paranoid about being robbed on holidays (particularly in the room) - and was thinking of using the Hotels Safety deposit box.

Has anyone used stayed in this hotel and had security concerns? Is it relatively ok to use the safety box in US Hotels?

Thanks

K

I have been to Ny 4 times and always used the in room safes in hotels with no problems whatsoever.

I stayed at the Milford Plaza last year ... I wouldn't call it a 'kip' but it ain't the Ritz for sure! Rooms are v. small and can be noisy (air conditioning units, people outside) but location was spot on and it was good value for NY. It's fine if you intend to be out sightseeing/shopping etc and just need a place to crash at night. The lobby area can be really busy and thronged (with more than just hotel customers I think as it's got a bar that fronts onto the side street etc). There can be dodgy dudes passing by on the street outside but it is NY and the Times Square area after all! I never felt unsafe. There are security guards who check for your key/room number before you enter the lift area of the lobby but not sure if it's 100% secure. I didn't use the safety deposit boxes so can't comment - just carried my passport and small amount of cash (used ATMs) around with me. Anything else was fine in the room. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the advice.

The situation is I'm bringing cash over - we were a bit worried the great exchange rate would drop.

The terms of the travel insurance are that the money would only be covered if stolen on my person or in a Safety deposit box.

The Hotel only appears to have 1 Safety box (not per room).

Has anyone left cash in safety boxes like this in NY? Is it practice to let staff know you have put cash in there?

Thanks

K

Using the safety deposit box in the Milford Plaza is, imho, a total non-runner as there are ridiculous queues at most times of the day at their reception desks - so much so that they don't require guests to check out. The queues are unsurprising given that they have 3 or 4 desks for a total of 1300 rooms.

For what its worth, I think you would be crazy to bring a large sum of cash to NY (or any other large city), particularly as you say that you're paranoid about being robbed on holidays . Much easier and safer to preload a credit card and use ATM's even if exchange rates might fluctuate marginally in the meantime.

Back