Milage on speedo not matching up...?

joeysully

I was at a someone house yesterday gerring parts off a crashed car.
I was also interested in the engine so i asked what is the milage on it?
110K was on the speedo. looked at the engine and on top of the timing belt cover was written 121K. I presume that means that timingbelt was changed at this milage.

My brother changed his speedo an his audi between NCT's with less milage and it wasnt noticed. His most recent NCT cert has milage less than the previous one. I took mine off the other day to replace bulbs its not difficult.

My question is how does someone Know when buying a second hand car that the engine is the origonal or that the speedo part of the dash wasnt changed?

joeysully said:
My question is how does someone Know when buying a second hand car that the engine is the origonal or that the speedo part of the dash wasnt changed?

Put simply you don't.

Without some form of independent verification like the hpi check in the UK we're somewhat at the mercy of the unscrupulous here.

Some things to be aware of; check service history carefully and if possible phone the garage who performed the servicing and confirm; shiny steering wheels, pedals and very worn drivers seat material are all indicators of a high milage vehicle.

Unfortunately NCT refuse to release info on what mileage they record at each check but i always keep the original cert (not just the disk) as evidence of mileage on that date. Good thing to look for when buying second hand.

Overall buy cars with your head and not your heart. It's a buyers market and if you have the slightest suspicion simply walk away and buy elsewhere.

For what it's worth 'clocking' the odometers on cars today is childs play, any car.

Back