Mick Wallace underpayment of VAT

DB74

I see Mick Wallace knowingly underdeclared VAT to Revenue to the tune of €1.4m and now has admitted that it is unlikely that the money will ever be paid to Revenue as his company is insolvent

He is quoted as saying:

“Even though it was illegal, I thought it was the right thing to do.”

Surely there must be some mechanism whereby he can be excluded from the Dail for a fraud like this?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0607/wallace-confirms-2-1m-settlement-with-revenue.html

I wonder how many years he will get in prison for deliberately defrauding the State of €1.4m

Can't be much less than the 6 years for the man who deliberately defrauded the State of €1.6m in underdeclared import duty on garlic

Why is he even still in the Dail, it's pretty clear he is bankrupt. He should have the book thrown at him at this stage, I never liked his whinging about the state of the country when it was him and his ilk that was part of the very root cause of the problem

If you were to list the top 1% of people culpable for the state the country is in, he'd be in it.

But sure didn't he do a great job with the soccer lads below in Wexford!

Akin to P.Flynn/Mick Lowry/ Bertie - Ask anyone from their parishes, won't have a bad word said against them.

Once again, Ireland shows itself to be completely incompetent when dealing with white collar crime. The guy should be arrested and stuck in Mountjoy jail for tax evasion. Why isn't Revenue prosecuting? Has it something to do with the fact that it is the Limited Company that owes the VAT and not Mick Wallace himself? The only punishment he is likely to get is to be told he can't be a company director anymore. Boo Hoo........

He should be straight out of the Dail- if they allowhim to stay then it is basically highlighting that there is no difference between any of the governments!

We as a people should demand it!

The government can't get rid of him.
He should resign but he won't because that would require personal integrity and honour.

Members of his technical group are all pretty silent.

VAT Fraud is illegal.

Wallance is a disgrace.

Purple :
He should resign but he wont because that would require personal integrity and honour.
Plus 1..

He broke the law and admitted he knew exactly what he was doing . He should resign..
It should be noted that the garlic man paid every penny and got an eight year jail sentence.
Im sure he wont be too bothered as he heads off to the euros!

The guy should be arrested and stuck in Mountjoy jail for tax evasion. Why isn't Revenue prosecuting?

Just heard someone on the radio this morning say that the fact that he has made a settlement already means he is unlikely to face prosecution.

Regards leaving the Dail, i think the only criteria that would force him to resign is bankruptcy or a prison term.

Just heard someone on the radio this morning say that the fact that he has made a settlement already means he is unlikely to face prosecution.

Regards leaving the Dail, i think the only criteria that would force him to resign is bankruptcy or a prison term.

Only problem is that the settlement is with an insolvent company. The guy in the Garlic case paid back about 700k out of a 1.4m tax bill if I remember correctly but still got 6 years in jail. Mick Wallace is allowed to sit in our Parliment and pass legislation. Go figure!

Shawady, when you say "the fact that he has made a settlement",,it should be noted that it is just that..the term settlement seems to imply that he actually paid something,when he hasnt paid any of that money..(as Im sure you know,but just to highlight it in case people think he actually paid up!)

There is a huge distinction between what Wallace did and what Begley did in the garlic importing case.

Wallace DELAYED declaring and paying tax, whereas Begley fraudulently EVADED it, with no intention of ever paying it.

That in no way excuses Wallace's actions, but I don't think People who are drawing comparisons actually realise how different, both legally (from a prosecutable perspective) and ethically (Begley's motive was greed, Wallace's was to try to keep a business afloat and dozens of jobs intact).

There is a huge distinction between what Wallace did and what Begley did in the garlic importing case.

Wallace DELAYED declaring and paying tax, whereas Begley fraudulently EVADED it, with no intention of ever paying it.

What???

And you know Wallace was only delaying payment because he says so. Is that it?

I am broke at the moment and would love to delay paying tax until I get myself back on my feet again. Is that ok with you?

This Country continues to amaze me when it comes to peoples attitudes to politicans and wrongdoing.

So by" EVADING" you get jailed and pay back, and by "DELAYING" you eh eh..oh yeah ..pay nothing and get a stay out of jail card..
There a lesson in there!

That in no way excuses Wallace's actions, but I don't think People who are drawing comparisons actually realise how different, both legally (from a prosecutable perspective) and ethically (Begley's motive was greed, Wallace's was to try to keep a business afloat and dozens of jobs intact).

Not true. Wallace made a false VAT return. He is now saying, after he was caught, that he was going to pay the money in full at a later date if things worked out for him.
Yea, sure he was.

All that can be said for certain is that he defrauded the people of Ireland by well over a million euro. To use the same sort of emotive language that he’s so fond of using that’s a million euro worth of hospital queues, a million euro worth of cuts to carers, a million euro worth of special needs assistants etc.

All that can be said for certain is that he defrauded the people of Ireland by well over a million euro. To use the same sort of emotive language that he’s so fond of using that’s a million euro worth of hospital queues, a million euro worth of cuts to carers, a million euro worth of special needs assistants etc.

That's his problem now. Next time he is criticising the Government, they will just throw this back in his face. He is a lame duck politician. Never mind what I would like to call him but this probably isn't the forum.

Not true. Wallace made a false VAT return. He is now saying, after he was caught, that he was going to pay the money in full at a later date if things worked out for him.
Yea, sure he was.

For me, the whole thing rests on whether or not the money was accrued in the company accounts. If it was then it was a delaying tactic, and one that is VERY common, so the people spitting bile here need to realise that.

If it wasn't accrued then that's a different matter...!

So by" EVADING" you get jailed and pay back, and by "DELAYING" you eh eh..oh yeah ..pay nothing and get a stay out of jail card..
There a lesson in there!

By delaying, the company continues to pay wages (and PAYE/PRSI), and attempts to trade its way through its difficulty.

By declaring the company puts itself out of business, and since the main creditor, the bank, has security over company assets, the VAT is never going to be paid anyway.

So the choice for Wallace was, face the music at the time or employ a desperate (and illegal) gamble and hope to trade through. His gamble hasn't paid off. But in reality the exchequer may not have lost out by as much as people here are assuming.

How do we know the company paid its PAYE/PRSI in full? RCT too? CIF pension contribs?

For all we know they could have been underdeclared as well. He has prior for this sort of thing.

Back