mice!

amtc

I was on the phone yesterday when a very small furry thing escaped from an open storage cupboard....ran over my shoe...and then went under the fridge. I promptly went upstairs and hyperventilated before going to the local hardware shop to buy traps. The guy suggested to use chocolate or rasher rind so I have four set. Nothing in them this am and no more sightings. Is it possible they just could have gone away? I am clattering around in high heels to scare them!

They won't go away. They come in looking for shelter at this time of year. Deal with them promptly, high heels won't scare them :) Chocolate definitely works. When I need to set a trap I use a little nibble of Lindt dark chocolate - gets 'em every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGtZLr8RpTo

Our cat is way too good at mice, brings them in half dead, semi dead, fully not dead. We've even trapped the mice and thrown it over the terrace to the lawn below, it took some effort the whole family to catch it, but we used no cheese nor meat. Just a box.

Sometimes the cat wakes us up at night in the kids bedroom scurring hither and younder to get at the mouse. I have kids telling me mother there was a mouse under my bed last night.

Last edited:
I got him....i was making a ham sandwich and it flew out from under the fridge...straight for the chocolate in the trap. It was teeny. I just stuck a tea towel over it and disposed of the whole lot in the outsidw bin. I must say I did feel like a murderer as it wriggled for minutes.

If, as you say, it was teeny then you've not got the breeding mouse. She'll be in the house with the other teeny ones. You need to get her and the rest will die of starvation. Otherwise they'll all be breeding in no time at all and there'll be an infestation.

Define "teeny"? Have you seen mice before or are you perhaps underestimating the size of an adult mouse? Have a look at the size of an adult mouse here

Mice are extremely prolific reproducers, an adult female can have 5-10 litters a year consisting of 3-14 pups and they reach maturity at 6 weeks - don't get too nice to them :) Best kill them quick and be done with it. They will defecate and urinate everywhere - you really don't want them as house guests!

Oh This post will be deleted if not edited immediately more traps going down. I have never seen a mouse before so was thinking it was a baby lost. I have seen a rat so I suppose it was small in relation to that. I've had a week of it...my broadband went down...my computer got a virus...the shower stopped working...the cistern was not filling..

Eek!

No way would I have been able to cope with a tea towel, did that go in the bin too. What's the odds the teeny baby mouse is back in the house!

He's well and truly dead. I did feel like a murderer. I know this sounds very silly but I did a little prayer. Tea towel trap and all went into bin.

Hi Amtc!
They're cute all right but they have very bad toilet and table manners.
There's details of homemade bucket traps on the Internet for catching mice in bulk if you have to.

He's well and truly dead. I did feel like a murderer. I know this sounds very silly but I did a little prayer. Tea towel trap and all went into bin.

Not silly at all. It just means you are a nice person and you are conscious of what you are doing. You aren't cruel, it is a cold practicality. Hard and all as it is the alternative is not liveable.

A rat is considerably bigger than a mouse, maybe 3 or 4 times the size, considerably cleverer and considerably more problematic! A mouse trap would not hold them, it would be too small. On the plus side ... You don't tend to get them together :)

Sweet dreams tonight and if you feel something nice, smooth and silky cool moving across your skin in the dark later on, guess what it might be?

For those who don’t like the thought of the little white fellas crawling up their inner leg as they sleep, wear Trouser Bicycle Clips on your PJ’s, that’s how my grandparents got round a similar problem, available in Halfords;

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/shorts-trousers/halfords-black-bicycle-trouser-clips

Hope this helps.

There's no way I'd have been able to kill it, I can't even kill the half dead ones the cat brings in even though it would be better for them.

In relation to Rats, that's an animal that should never be personally tackled, they are dangerous and can turn on you if cornered.

Well I didn't personally kill it...the trap did! And you could argue that his greediness in going for the chocolate contributed. As my mam said at least he had a good last meal. Like on death row.

Btw it was brown. Not white. I presume that means just a common field mouse. Nothing in traps overnight...

This might help you decide what it is :)

White mice are selectively bred, they are tame pets - you don't generally get them in the wild.

Hi, Just make sure that you reset the traps as soon as you can, don't let the body in the trap for too long. Just clear off the dead mouse & reset again (use disposable glove & paper napkin) , set the traps in various places around the room that you've seen them in, within cupboards etc . You may spend a few days catching mice - esp if it's a family of them you have in there.

Are there children in the house - if so make sure the traps are out of reach for them... after you catch a few mice, the feeling of uneasiness about the process should diminish.. keep floors / worktops clear of crumbs etc... hate to say it but make sure that any breakfast cereal boxes are sealed... yes, I found one in there :-( can't bring myself to eat rice crispies to this day!

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Most likely it is Mus musculus, the (extremely) common house mouse :)

Back