Mica test results

dublinwoman

Looking for some advice please if anyone can help.

My sister is sale agreed on a house in Donegal. She just received the results of a mica test that she had done and its 4% mica. She thinks that anything under 5% is ok but my understanding is that it has to be 1% to be ok. She wants to go ahead with the sale and I'm worried sick. No mortgage so she is paying with inheritance money she got.

Engineer said its a low to medium risk. What does that mean? Will the house end up the same as other people's houses in Donegal? Saw videos and its heartbreaking. Trying to find out if its safe for her to go ahead with the sale. She is buying on her own. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Engineer rang and said that anything under 5% was ok which has me worried. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated

A report for the government stated the following (page 40):
"Estimates suggest that the presence of 1% muscovite mica in the aggregate causes a reduction of the concrete strength by approximately 5%."

How old is the house? This is something that gets worse over time as moisture is absorbed by the blocks.

Personally I couldn't even accept a low risk and would look elsewhere.

Back