Methods of payment for tax return

RichieRich

Just a quickie! I'm sorting out funds to pay for a tax return on a rented property and I'm just wondering if I submt it online, how is payment made? Credit Card?

Thanks.

Presumably you're using ROS?

Single debit authority/RDI by adding your account on your ROS homepage.

Thanks Gekko. I'm registered for the PAYE anytime service but not for ROS so I must sort that.
Final question, the property was rented out from mid-2010 to mid 2011 so given that this Oct 31st deadline refers to a 2010 tax return, do I just return and pay for that year or can I do both 2010 and 2011?

Thanks

Rental income is taxed on the calendar year basis, year ended 30/12/2010 is what you will be returning now.
You will pAy the 2010 liability now, plus preliminary tax for the 2011 year.

Thanks for that. I'm confused as to what 'preliminary tax' refers to. Can I just return for the rental income for 2010 now and wait until after Oct 31st for a 2011 form to be available and then just return that straight away for my 2011 returns?

Hi Richie.

Every October you should pay:

- Any balance of income tax owed for the previous year, and
- Preliminary income tax for the current year.

Your preliminary income tax payment for a particular year should be equal to either 100% of the previous year's income tax liability or 90% of the current year's income tax liability.

So applying the above to your circumstances:

- You'll shortly submit your 2010 income tax return together with the associated tax payable for 2010.
- You're also required to pay preliminary income tax for 2011. As outlined above, this payment should be based on either 100% of your 2010 income tax liability or 90% of your 2011 income tax liability. Unless you expect your 2011 liability to be significantly lower than your 2010 liability, it makes sense to base your 2011 preliminary income tax payment on 100% of your 2010 income tax liability (on the basis that you don't then have to estimate your final 2011 liability and therefore risk the imposition of interest charges if you get your calculations wrong).
- Then in October/November 2012 when you're submitting your 2011 income tax return, you've to pay any balance of income tax payable for 2011 (i.e. on top of the preliminary income tax payment you made in October 2011) and you'll also have to pay preliminary income tax for 2012.

As an aside, if you're basing a 2011 preliminary income tax payment on 100% of a 2010 income tax liability, you've to include USC as if it were in place during 2010.

Last month I submitted a form 11E and asked Revenue to calculate my 2012 tax liability on rental income and preliminary tax for 2013.

The notice of assessment states "Year: 1/1/2012 to 31/12/2012' and the amount due by 31/10.

I presume this does not include the preliminary payment for 2013. So do I now pay an additional amount and make a separate payment for this?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Last month I submitted a form 11E and asked Revenue to calculate my 2012 tax liability on rental income and preliminary tax for 2013.

You will be paying by cheque with a payslip or ROS on either there is one section for Preliminary tax 2013 and one section for balance of tax for 2012 and a total.

Back