Meter read estimate on bill even though I'm on a smart meter tarrif

Wheelie Bin

I'm with SSE and am charged "Smartsaver Standard" under the "tarrif description" on the bill. Is this a smart meter tarrif , which by its title should be and if so why are my bills based on estimated readings ?

Am I missing something here. I thought smart meters were remotely read and all bills would be based on exact readings taken remotely?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this .

I don't think it matters what plan your on or whether you've activated the meter or not, it should all be done remotely
My understanding is the meter communicates over the mobile network by sending a text message of your usage to ESB
Do you by any chance live in an area that has bad mobile reception??
Have you checked with your neighbours to see if their having any issues with their Smart Meter readings??
How long is this going on and have you thought about contacting the ESB??

I'm with SSE and am charged "Smartsaver Standard" under the "tarrif description" on the bill. Is this a smart meter tarrif , which by its title should be and if so why are my bills based on estimated readings ?

Am I missing something here. I thought smart meters were remotely read and all bills would be based on exact readings taken remotely?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this .

By the headline (exaggerated as usual), you'd think the meter itself is malfunctioning and causing too many units to be used/charged.

Its simply a connectivity issue which was always flagged, but maybe ESB Networks should have been more proactive about it as I'm sure their software can pinpoint smart meters that have been installed and not read by the system.

They use 2G technology that has issues if the meter is in a basement or a valley or similar. A simple note when it is installed to those that might be affected that manual reading may be required is all that it takes.

By the headline (exaggerated as usual), you'd think the meter itself is malfunctioning and causing too many units to be used/charged.
I agree - but, ignoring the clickbait nature of the headline, it does outline one reason (poor mobile connectivity and inability to report readings back to base) why one may receive an estimated bill even on a smart meter - which is the subject of this thread.

Back