Mercedes C180 Petrol

Slim

Hi

Looking at secondhand one of these, automatic. Worried about the possible MPG and any other problems? Any input appreciated.

Slim

hired a 06 C180 last year on holidays, absolutely beautiful and sweet car. Why would you worry about mpg? cuz it's automatic? The modern automatics aren't that bad on fuel economy at all actually.

Slim,

I test-drove a diesel one of these last week (C220 CDi). 100k miles on it, and no squeaks or rattles. Automatic was quite good, you can drive in automatic or manual mode (left/right = down gear/up gear). The kompressor petrols (C180 and C200) are supercharged and (supposedly) lighter on petrol than you would think. The one I drove seemed a bit hesitant sometimes (but I'm not used to a Turbodiesel).

Manual gearbox is not really an option on these, as the "handbrake" is foot-operated ... it would be impossible to do a hillstart smoothly.

Was quite impressed overall, will be trying a few other cars before we decide though. If we go for a C-Class, we will also try a C200 Kompressor, which I think is a 1.8 litre engine.

still considering this.

What is the scale of the advantage of diesel over petrol? How many MPG?

Is the foot operated handbrake very difficult to use with a manual?

Anyone buy one lately and what do you think of it?

Slim

Resale will be easier with a diesel Merc. There is very little in the difference if any MPG wise between manual and auto these days with the Merc's.

Ive a foot operated handbrake (tautology!) on an old e2200 and I find it very messy if you are stopped on an incline in traffic or at lights as you need both handbrake and clutch release at the same time with the same left foot!

Ive a foot operated handbrake (tautology!) on an old e2200 and I find it very messy if you are stopped on an incline in traffic or at lights as you need both handbrake and clutch release at the same time with the same left foot!

I am not sure but there should also be a hand operated lever in the footwell that will release the handbrake for this very purpose, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I certainly would not let that little point stop you from buying the car you want.

I've a C180 coupe, the hand brake is engaged by way of a foot peddle, but the release mechanism is by way of a pull lever to bottom right hand side of dashboard, so you need to use clutch peddle with left foot, accelerator peddle with right foot and right hand to pull lever ! Does take a little time to get used to, but when I use one of the kid's cars my left foot looks for handbrake peddle !. And to release it my right hand drops to bottom of dashborad !!

yours

Secman

oops! make a mistake above. Only drive it ocassionally. Ure right, the brake release is hand operated, but still a bit tricky to use.

I've been in a fair few but have never driven one and in fairness they are a pretty horrible car on all accounts. Really crap interior that is bland with cheap materials, it has a poor range of engine units and they are also far from reliable by looking at recent quality surveys. Along with the W211 E Class they are possibly responsible for Merc's huge blot in it's previously unblemished copy book in recent years.

Finally got into the likely car today. 06 C180sport. Unfortunately it felt a bit cramped. I am tall and, ahem! "broad". I also have 3 teenagers and rear legroom seemed tight compared to my '05 Mondeo. Back to Ford, I think.

Thanks to all who replied.

Slim

Also take a look at the Volvo S60. I'm 6 foot 3 and have found legroom to be ample in both front + rear. Depreciation hasn't been too kind to them so used examples can be picked up for silly money compared to a 3 Series or A4.

Back