Memory stick problem

DeirdreM

I have 2 memory sticks. Both used to work on my home computer and work computer. Now they both work on my home computer but my work computer will not recognise one of them. A red light comes on in the stick but when I go to the "My Computer" section, it does not indicate that the memory stick is in place. Any advise?

Perhaps your IT department (if you have one) has done something to your work PC to prevent USB keys being plugged in?

I know this sounds obvious but did you try every USB port on your work computer? Or perhaps its a driver issue? But if one of your data sticks works at work i doubt its an IT department issue.

I have 2 memory sticks. Both used to work on my home computer and work computer. Now they both work on my home computer but my work computer will not recognise one of them. A red light comes on in the stick but when I go to the "My Computer" section, it does not indicate that the memory stick is in place. Any advise?
Check in Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Manager, see if maybe it's trying to use a drive letter that's already in use (for example, a network share). If so, change the drive letter assigned to the USB key.

Perhaps your IT department (if you have one) has done something to your work PC to prevent USB keys being plugged in?

A distinct possibility.

Is there any chance the memory stick has been infected by a virus or other form of malware that the system at work detects and thus rejects?

Has the recalcitrant memory stick been reformatted / initialised on another machine with a different operating system?

Have you spoken with the sysadmin at work?

I'm sure the red light means something "not good"; have you consulted your user documentation or the manufacturer's website? (polite forms of RTFM)

Do your IT guidelines at work permit portable media to be accessed on the network / work-stations? (assuming there is one)

I have 2 memory sticks. Both used to work on my home computer and work computer. Now they both work on my home computer but my work computer will not recognise one of them.

If work recognises one of her data sticks them I assume she is allowed to use data sticks. UNless some are allowed and others are not, but I doubt that.

Back