Meeting with Enterprise Board

quinerty

Hi all
I am in the planning stages of opening a bridal shop and have arranged a meeting with the local enterprise board to discuss supports available etc. I am just wondering what I would need to bring along and what I can expect from the meeting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Quinerty

I would suggest the number one thing you'd need to bring along is your business plan.

Thanks KennyB3 but help with writing the business plan is one of the supports the enterprise board provide so I am hoping to discuss this with them.
I explained where I am at and they told me they would go through everything with me at the meeting.
Just wondered what else I should bring along.

You've probably done this already, but EI have great information on their website: http://www.enterprise-ireland.com I'd also ask about any research & development schemes which they have on-going. It may not apply in your situation - Bridal shop - but perhaps if you intended to use environmentally friendly sources? It's worth a thought. Best of luck with your venture.

Hi Quinerty,
The more informed you are the better chance you will have of getting help. A feasibility grant would be useful as it would allow you to research the demand, in your area and beyond. They often support advertising material, usually 50%.
They are usually very friendly and anxious to help, so be relaxed you will be more confident. Do tell them how long you have been thinking about doing this.
One beautiful brand I have come across is Linea Rafaelli, I think it is a Belgian range. I dont think there is anybody in Ireland doing them. They also do fabulous unrivalled Mother of the Bride outfits, a few boutiques carry this range. They are excellent fitting for the Irish figure. You will have to decide if it fits with the image of your boutique. You will have to decide price range. It would not work to have very expensive and very cheap. People will associate you with one or the other. The upper end is the one that Brides travel for. Dont be afraid to have the second time around, as you suggested previously, particularly upper end type. You may have to show them separately.
Best of luck Browtal

Hi Quinerty,

As stated by browtal

Hi Quinerty,
The more informed you are the better chance you will have of getting help. nd type. You may have to show them separately.
Best of luck Browtal

You are right that the local enterprise board will help you prepare a business plan but you should really prepare it yourself to some extent as there is many questions within the business plan that only the business owner can answer.

for example,

1-where will you buy from?
2-where will you sell from?
3- Who will you to sell to?
4- How will you receive payments/make payments out?
5- How & who will record all transactions?
6- How are you financing stock?
7 -What is youre plan over 3 mths , 6mths ,12mths etc?
8 -If there is staff involved , always push for local employment :) ( everyones a winner then)
9 - What markup will you charge?
10 - What is the business ethos??? Buy low,sell high ? Customer service?Lifestyle business or For profit business??

These are just some of the questions that only you can answer.

BTW . If you can figure out the right answers you might let me know as well :)

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

I received an e-mail from thee enterprise board stating:
"The Board is not in a position to support retail businesses – they are deemed “outside our remit” by the Departments. If however I can be of any other assistance I would be delighted to meet with you ?"

Not quite sure if it would be still useful to meet with them?
Perhaps they can still assist with preparation of business plans and "support" may refer to financial supports - which i am not looking for (yet anyway!)

Are there any other bodies who support retail start-ups?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Not that I know of. If you were making the dresses that may be a different case, I'm not sure as most enterprise boards look for manufacturing ideas to support although in recent years they did support creches but that was to make sure we had a full labour force.

I would still meet them, they may offer mentoring advise

Also go [broken link removed] for more advise

Back