Medical expenses refund

P

peelaaa

I carried out the medical expenses refund for last year online (2008) earlier this year and received a cheque amount.
I received a letter today stating that I need to send in all the receipts for that year, however I have misplaced some of them.
Will they ask for some of the money back?

Could your doctor provide copies?, I know my dentist was able to when I had a similer request a while back

Does anyone know if the revenue will ask for some of the money back if I cannot find receipts, money is a bit tight at the moment.

If you contact the Revenue department dealing with the claim, you may be able to get your tax credits reduced for 2010 in order that the money owed back to Revenue can be split over 12 months as opposed to one crippling lump sum.

If you contact the Revenue department dealing with the claim, you may be able to get your tax credits reduced for 2010 in order that the money owed back to Revenue can be split over 12 months as opposed to one crippling lump sum.

Thanks for the info, hope it won't come to that but that would help.

I received same letter today. I have all the receipts but need to now get a letter from GP who referred me on for counselling and one from the counseller otherwise revenue will dis-allow those receipts.

Medical Expenses claims have become the object of Revenue scrutiny a lot in recent months. It has happened that some people may have submitted claims which might not have been entirely genuine, i.e. since no receipts had to be submited with the claims, some claims may have been submitted which were wholly or partly fictional. The claim then generated a refund which was handy at the time. Unfortunately desk audits of claims are now throwing up such defects and Revenue will want their money back.

( Not saying that such is the case in any of the claims mentioned in this thread, just that I have encountered them and in a past thread on AAM the poster admitted to such actions )

Back