Medical card - eu entitlement

moondance

I have a question about medical card applications.
I live in Rep of Ireland and work in Northern Ireland so I qualify for a medical card under EU entitlement without a means test. So I called up about it using the number on the HSE website and they told me I still have to fill in all my financial details and that of my spouse even though he is not entitled to it. And even though I definitely do not qualify under means testing they still means test me anyway and then if I don't qualify under that then they grant me the card under EU entitlement.

To me this sounds crazy - a huge waste of my time and the person who has to process it at the other end. Has anyone else had experience of this? If I just mark it parts as 'not applicable' will I just get it returned to me? The amount of information they require is staggering - yet understandable if you are applying for means testing but when I am entitled to this anyway, why do I need to go to all this trouble???

Apologies for repeating myself, it just all makes me so angry!!!

This is pure guesswork/conjecture and I may be completely wrong but does the UK have to reimburse Ireland for providing medical cards to UK workers/taxpayers if they qualify under the EU entitlement but not if they qualify under Irish means-testing.

If that were so then perhaps the UK only pay if you fail the means test?

I too have a medical card under eu entitlement and do not give details of means except to show an income.
You must have an income of some sort to qualify for a medical card so a photocopy of an up to date wage slip should be sent in.

You need to be very careful when filling up the application form. There is very little (strangely) for you to fill up. If you have NO Irish income you just fill in "not applicable" in all those boxes.

Then fill your UK income and it's source in the relevant box.

Back