Medical Card Application Query

susie1

Hi all, (hope this is the correct forum)
I am currently on illness benefit and applied for the medical card. Got a letter today saying they want a recent payslip/pps from the co-owner of my house.

They said i will be jointly assesed even though i am single as there is someone elses name on the mortgage. How is this correct, when we are not a couple? What if he refuses to give me his personal information??

only that we bought a house together, it was the only way either of us could afford to get on the property ladder (like a lot of others)

You will find social welfare information on this link below.
I understand your situation and we will probably see more cases like yours coming up in the future as lots of young people have bought houses together over the past few years that are not 'couples'. I personally know two people who purchased a house together. He is gay and now has a partner living elsewhere that he did not have when the house was purchased. The female owner ran into the same problem when trying to claim jobseekers allowance some months ago. Luckily they were able to prove their living arrangements and also had the bonus of owing the house as Tenants in Common. I would say make your case to social welfare.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Operational...s/cohabit.aspx

Social Welfare have no role in assessment of medical cards - it's the HSE who deals with same.

Back