Med 1 - overseas medical expenses

Johnboy45

Does anyone know if overseas A&E medical expenses which were not covered by my holiday insurance get covered by the Med 1 form. Basically, due to the excess on the hol insurance, I am still out of pocket. Can I claim these, together with my Irish expenses, on med 1 form?

I have claimed consultant's fees from abroad in the past without any problems (I used to always sent copies of my receipts), I don't think it matters where you had medical expenses.

As a follow-up question on this, does anyone know if you can claim tax relief on medical expenses carried out abroad for an operation that is illegal in Ireland?
Twas a very difficult situation that we faced as a couple last year that required a trip to the UK (and the 2 medical consultants involved agreed that it was required). I hope not to have to spell out what was involved.

As a follow-up question on this, does anyone know if you can claim tax relief on medical expenses carried out abroad for an operation that is illegal in Ireland?
Twas a very difficult situation that we faced as a couple last year that required a trip to the UK (and the 2 medical consultants involved agreed that it was required). I hope not to have to spell out what was involved.

The MED1 allows you to claim for necessary medical expenses, the procedure in question is illegal as an elective procedure in Ireland, Im not sure if it would be performed as a medical necessity - you might check that with your GP?

Back