Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation experiences

Is it noisy in any way?

It shouldn't be.

The best piece of advice I got was to not position outlets over beds as I've heard people complain that they can feel the (albeit slight) breeze on themselves at night!

Also, steer clear of any system that uses flexible currugated piping. Even common sense would suggest that the smoother the path for the air flow, the more efficiently the system can run.

Re noise, it does hum a bit when it's on boost and if you have a particularly quiet house you would hear that. It's a struggle to hear oneself think in ours though, so that's not a problem. The guys recommended that we position the fresh-air vents near the bottom of the bed so that there wasn't a breeze coming in at night but I have never noticed it. We have a block-built house so no need for the membrane.

And Franm is right about the spiders. They're just not there. Does anyone know why this is??

Supposedly as there is less moisture in the air dust mites cannot survive, and these are the main food source of house spiders.

I have installed a system from MTD -Solutions in a 1970s two storey house, ducting a bit awkward fro downstairs, (ran ducts down behind built in wardrobe and then between joists in first floor.

i had noticed quite a bit of noise at night (our bedroom is the closest to the unit) and have fitted a timeclock to turn off the fans at night and on again in the morning.

other than that no problem.

don't have it long enough to know how much it is saving (if anything)

biggest problem is making old house airtight.

How much electricity do MHRV systems use in a year ?

Is there any problem turning them off completely e.g. when you have the windows open in summer ?

I am currently considering building the kingspan tek Sip House, which they recommend MHRV systems, they even suggest that in Sip homes it can be your primary heat source (no rads) when hooked up to a boiler, I am having their engineers look at my plans to see if the system would be adequate, will also have my engineer do the same.
the system they use is Nuaire Eco scrubo, which will be dropped to site only with all accessories for E 12,435 excluding vat, this seems a little excesive to me and may be worth my while to shop around, i will check out ProAir as mentioned here , but if anybody knows any other suppliers fitters based in around the border counties I would appreciate the info

cheers to all

MudHut

Last edited:
Hope its ok to tag onto the post.
Is it possible to have gas or wood pellet/chip fires in a house that has a HRV system installed. We are planning to have a solid fuel stove in one room and have two other fireplaces in the house and not sure what we can use in these.
Thanks

We have a multifuel stove in our house with a HRV system and it works grand. You should make sure the HRV is turned on when the stove is running though to feed the stove.

Lastbuilders

some stoves allow for an independant air intake of air from outside the house. one idea mght be to put a wavin pipe in the foundations if you havent started them already.
i think that there is no Cassettte fire which has this option available.

there is a company in Belfast that supply systems. not sure if they install, i have no connection apart from seeing them at one of the shows and that i wil prob go with them,. i liked their approach: on their web site you can calculate the price from a table, no smoke and mirrors, which i think are in abundance inteh south of ireland... and the price, taking into account the vat i think that i am still getting a good deal, for supply only: €3642, excluding delvery as i will be able to collect it. maybe i am naieve but instillation shouldnt be too crazy hard, especially if the suppliers provide adequate plans. its just a box with pipes, ill get the electrician to connect it up, and will have plenty of money to spare.
the company is called Brookvent, web site is brookvent.co.uk

some stoves allow for an independant air intake of air from outside the house. one idea mght be to put a wavin pipe in the foundations if you havent started them already.
i think that there is no Cassettte fire which has this option available.

I am puting in a room sealed wood fire in my new build.I have found two fires that use a externel air supply but are not fully air tight from the house in that they use house air for a wash for the glaass doors.
to be totally airtight you would need to use some of the stoves.
Brand names wood fires KAL-FIRE .... FENTON FIRES,GREYSTONES
CAMMINETTI..... HEATMASTER/
MAPLE TRADING CORK
STOVES LOOK UP AUSTRIAN/GERMAN SITES

Got a quote of 6.5k for MTD-solution for a 260m2 bunglow, €4600 for the unit itself and the rest was ducting etc. Seems expensive to me. Anyone know of other suppliers which might me cheaper. What kit of price is the system from Pro-air.

my quote from them was closer to 8000 for 279 sqm dormer. Would be interested in other companies too. Saying that the MTD one seems to have a very high heat recovery percentage

thanks baberbhoy.

for hrv try brookvent.co.uk, office in Belfast,no affiliation to me...

my quote from them was closer to 8000 for 279 sqm dormer. Would be interested in other companies too. Saying that the MTD one seems to have a very high heat recovery percentage

Ask MTD what independant body tested their unit and will stand over their performance figures.

Last edited:
Checked out the Brookvent place. Price was good but they use flexable hose ( bad for efficient air flow ) and not sure if it is insulated or not. 20% extra ( 20% of the whole system price ) if you want rigit hose. This makes a big difference to the price.

hello,

i have looked at a lot of systems and am now considering a DIY approach to this, units seem to be aroun 400-1000 dollars, plus ducting controls etc. way cheaper than 4-8K

Got a quote of 6.5k for MTD-solution for a 260m2 bunglow, €4600 for the unit itself and the rest was ducting etc. Seems expensive to me. Anyone know of other suppliers which might me cheaper. What kit of price is the system from Pro-air.

I got a Proair system into a 115m2 semi-D last year for £3800 all up including three booster switches, even though it was after first fix. I've been advised that two smaller units are more efficient (and cheaper) than one large one. Seem to remember the unit alone costing about €1800.

have just seen what is delivered in the first fix of both Brook Vent and MTD. ducuting is same: flexible insulated and non insulated, with very similar solid joints, and same valves. different way of fastening all right but the difference in price is thousands of euro>>>> i am not affilliated with brookvent, but hate to see southerners pay over the odds for materials available a drive away!!!

Snap, they did go down to €7.5k but I am sure there is more to be gained. 7.5k is a lot for a big air pump.

I was very impressed when I saw the MTD system at the self build show, the quote was pretty scary alright though...€8000 for a 2900sq ft bungalow! Came down to €7500 straight away though and think there is more scope there!

One question I have is that MTD recommend flexible ducting that looks like tinfoil (but is amazingly strong, and the way it deadens sound is impressive), while many others say that flexible is a disaster. Is one better than the other or do they both have there pro's and con's?

Also, is it worth paying them €500-600 euro to install, I am pretty good at diy, and apart from complicated wiring and plumbing would chance just about anything...except plastering!

Hi all. I have done my own Diy pipework for mhrv in a complete rebuid of a ruined 150 sq m farmhouse. I just read up on it and used wavin pipe which I collected from skips and site dumps. It has cost about ten euros so far and I think it will work as well as the mega expensive jobs. (The build has taken a few years so I had plenty of time for the scavenging and figuring out).

Its not the rocket science the professionals would have you believe it is. I was on a site where a 10k mhrv system was being installed. I spoke to the installer and it took thirty seconds to figure out that he knew nothing about it.!!!! Caveat Emptor!!!

I am looking into the units now and would appreciate any recommendations for cheap reliable ones. Cheers.

Back