MDF for flooring

hoppy

Can I use 18mm mdf sheets as flooring in the upstairs of a newbuild story and a half extension?

i put down cheap white deal and stained it a medium oak color then put on clear satin varnish, its cheap as chips and looks brilliant,and wears really well!

cheers dozydelilah ,Its just i can get the mdf for free, so need to find out if can be used!

Yes you can so long as it doesn't get wet.....is your new build sealed (roofed) ???

How big is the floor area?
MDF is ideal for furniture unit / shelving.
Some evidence suggests it gives off toxic fumes over time.

I think its worse than chipboard when it gets wet. So one leaking rad or waste pipe and the mdf will swell & degrade / collapse.

For the sake of a few quid & peace of mind, I buy some 18mm ply.

Can I use 18mm mdf sheets as flooring in the upstairs of a newbuild story and a half extension?

I don't seem to recall MDf as being particularly hard wearing or being able to contribute to the necessary 30 minutes fire resistance and may be required of your upper floor contruction depending on the design of the building.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

thanx for all the advice, i will check with ur engineer before i make any decisions

Back