McCain vs Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=722706#post722706
McCains family are originally from Donegal - there's some town up their where most people are related to him.

Most people seem to be related to most people up here :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0118/uselection1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=722706#post722706
Palin is from an Irish catholic background. Her family - Sheerins, are from Roscommon.

I bet the Sheerins are keeping schtum about that one! :)

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

According to Michael Graham, the Boston Republican on the Right Hook on Friday evenings, and a strong McCain supporter, the contest is over and Obama will win easily.

No, it was Kenya, and it's not in Offaly ;)

His great, great,great grandfather was supposed to have sailed from Offaly way back. This is his mothers side of the family. Called Fulmuth Kearney. We don't hear him mentioning his Irishness.

-- Another question yet to be resolved is whether Mr. Obama is a natural born citizen of the United States, a prerequisite pursuant to the U.S. Constitution. There is evidence Mr. Obama was born in Kenya rather than, as he claims, Hawaii. There is also a registration document for a school in Indonesia where the would-be president studied for four years, on which he was identified not only as a Muslim but as an Indonesian. If correct, the latter could give rise to another potential problem with respect to his eligibility to be president.
Curiously, Mr. Obama has, to date, failed to provide an authentic birth certificate which could clear up the matter.

Extract from column in US newspapers today.

This issue about Obama not being eligible for US President as he was not born in the USA and/or has duel citizenship is still running. I cant understand how the papers over here havent picked this up - the most important election story out there right now.

His great, great,great grandfather was supposed to have sailed from Offaly way back. This is his mothers side of the family. Called Fulmuth Kearney. We don't hear him mentioning his Irishness.
Not only has Offaly no coastine, it is the only county in Ireland surrounded by counties with no coastline.;)

Not only has Offaly no coastine, it is the only county in Ireland surrounded by counties with no coastline.;)

Not true, Offaly has a short border with Galway and the last time I looked at a map Galway had a fairly extensive coastline.

Ruam

This issue about Obama not being eligible for US President as he was not born in the USA and/or has duel citizenship is still running. I cant understand how the papers over here havent picked this up - the most important election story out there right now.

I think that is because it is baloney. I read about this months back and the snopes website has a good article on it.

The qualifications listed in the example quoted above are moot because they refer to someone who was born outside the the United States. Since Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, they do not apply to him.

It is ludicrous to think that someone could get this far in a presidential election without having the necessary qualifications. If this were true, his oponents would be over it faster than any past dealings with a 60's dissident (or terrorist as they call them these days... :))

Because the Irish media is very anti-Republican (I am an Obama supporter but the bias here is shameful).

I think that is because it is baloney. I read about this months back and the snopes website has a good article on it.

It is ludicrous to think that someone could get this far in a presidential election without having the necessary qualifications. If this were true, his oponents would be over it faster than any past dealings with a 60's dissident (or terrorist as they call them these days... :))

There appears to be 2 issues.

1. Allegation that he was born in Mombassa, Kenya which would make him ineligible. The certificate he produced from Hawaii is just a certificate of eligibility for US citizenship which has no more status than the foreign birth register that Ireland has. Having US citizenship does not make him eligible for President - he needs to be born in the USA.

2. Evidence that, as a child, he was adopted by his Indonesian step-father. Under adoption laws, a child who is adopted abroad is regarded as being born in the adopted parents country and loses their right to citizenship in their previous country.

This is currently going through the Courts in the US. There was a hearing as few days ago in which Obama was ordered by a Judge to produce his birth certificate. Instead of producing the birth certificate thus ending the case in Obama's favour, his lawyers are now appealing the decision and trying to get the case thrown out on a technicality. This approach to the case is suspect for obvious reasons.

[broken link removed]

Republicans are afraid to bring this up in the campaign in case it backfires and they are seen as trying to win an election on technicalities. However, once polling is over and if Obama wins, you can guarantee we'll have a bunch of court cases that will make "hanging chads" look like a walk in the park.

I think that is because it is baloney. I read about this months back

Whereas rumours were circulating a few months back, nothing solid was known. They also seemed to concentrate on the issue of Hawaiis acceptance as a US State, which is not an issue in the Court cases. The Court cases are claiming that Obama was NOT born in Hawaii or any other US State or territory. In the State of Hawaii, birth certs are confidential - only released to people named on them (child/parents) or next of kin, so unlike Ireland, a member of the public cannot apply for one to check. The Court case is real and current - had hearings within the past week.

Ok - I did some research on the Factcheck.org which bills itself as a non-partisan group that checks all the claims made by republicans and democrats. They have an exhaustive bit of research into this claim which seems to show that even if there is an on-going court case, the facts speak for themselves:

[broken link removed]

They have personally checked out the birth certificate and have even found a birth announcment in a Honolulu paper at the time. I for one am convinced that as far as anyone can possibly prove, Obama is a naturalised, born in the USA citizen!

Saw bits of the 'debate' last night: Obama seemed comfortable, confident and generally spoke well; McCain seemed tetchy, uncomfortable and slightly desperate to me.

Ok - I did some research on the Factcheck.org which bills itself as a non-partisan group that checks all the claims made by republicans and democrats. They have an exhaustive bit of research into this claim which seems to show that even if there is an on-going court case, the facts speak for themselves:

[broken link removed]

They have personally checked out the birth certificate and have even found a birth announcment in a Honolulu paper at the time. I for one am convinced that as far as anyone can possibly prove, Obama is a naturalised, born in the USA citizen!

Factcheck.org is part of the Democratic Party election machinery !!!!!

How come you checked out the birth cert when its confidential and has not yet been produced? The document you saw is not a birth cert, its just a registration of the birth of a US citizen who could have been born anywhere in the world - this is similar to the foreign birth register Ireland operates. This document only proves that Obama is entitled to US citizenship as his mother was a US citizen and usual residence i.e. Hawaii at the time of his birth. It does not state exactly where he is born, which could in theory be anywhere in the world - this is only found on the long form of the birth cert which Obama has refused to disclose. He also hasnt answered the Indonesian adoption/citizenship issue which also bars him from the presidency.

Factcheck.org is part of the Democratic Party election machinery !!!!!

Can you back that statement up? I can only state what factcheck say about themselves in their about us page:

http://www.factcheck.org/about/

I am not an expert, but looking at their site they are pretty merciless about lies and inconsistencies by both the blue and red corners. Also I found out about them because New Scientist ran an article that mentioned them when talking about Voters having to research facts rather than believing what they are told. They seemed pretty positive about them, but at the end of the day your (my, anyones) viewpoint is coloured by our political beliefs. I just think that intelligence and political machinery would definitely have got involved if Obama's citizenship was really in doubt.

How come you checked out the birth cert when its confidential and has not yet been produced? The document you saw is not a birth cert, its just a registration of the birth of a US citizen who could have been born anywhere in the world - this is similar to the foreign birth register Ireland operates. This document only proves that Obama is entitled to US citizenship as his mother was a US citizen and usual residence i.e. Hawaii at the time of his birth. It does not state exactly where he is born, which could in theory be anywhere in the world - this is only found on the long form of the birth cert which Obama has refused to disclose. He also hasnt answered the Indonesian adoption/citizenship issue which also bars him from the presidency.

Did you even look at the site I directed you to? They talk about the document produced as being a birth certificate, and they examine the document in detail with detailed photographs. It does state where he was born - in Honolulu. Unless you are suggesting that the document is a forgery?

Birth Certificate

(from the site)
The certificate has all the elements the State Department requires for proving citizenship to obtain a U.S. passport: "your full name, the full name of your parent(s), date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records." The names, date and place of birth, and filing date are all evident on the scanned version, and you can see the seal above.

There is also the newspaper announcement from that time announcing the birth. TBH I don't think I'm going to worry about it any more because as I am personally convinced that if there was any real doubt then the Republican's would have been over it like a rash, (much like the John Kerry purple heart denouncers from the last election).

Back