MBA vs. MBS

The thing with an OU MBA is that while academically it may be very challenging and rewarding, an integral part of the MBA process is the interaction with outher experienced executives from different industries, giving you different perspectives and potentially some mutually rewarding associations.
I feel you are missing out on this with the OU, (but I'm open to correction Squonk....)

The thing with an OU MBA is that while academically it may be very challenging and rewarding, an integral part of the MBA process is the interaction with outher experienced executives from different industries, giving you different perspectives and potentially some mutually rewarding associations.
I feel you are missing out on this with the OU, (but I'm open to correction Squonk....)
The OU is fully aware of this 'deficiency' in its teaching process. Their way around this is to have frequent tutorial session where you meet others from your region who are studying the same modules ( Ihad mine in UCC). You are then encouraged to start study groups which aids relationship building. Furthermore, most modules have week-long resisdential schools where you head off to bootcamp to network and interact (i.e. drink!)with students/managers from all around Europe. These managers are from different cultures, and have very diverse experiences and opinions. This is generally the highlight of most modules. Furthermore, because of the way modules are staggered you are not stuck with the same classmates for the full duration of the MBA. So, if anything, I would propose that with the OU MBA you get to meet many more managers from diverse industries all over Europe than you might with an Irish-based MBA.

Sounds good. Obviously worked for you.....I just wanted to emphasise that the benefits of the are at least as much about the people as it is about the learning. OU has evidently recognised this, so no more adverse comments from me!

Is it possible to claim tax relief on fees, for example, if I was to do a distance learning MBA ?

"Is it possible to claim tax relief on fees, for example, if I was to do a distance learning MBA ?"

Yes, in many cases. Certainly for the OU and the larger European universities / colleges. You can check the particular institution with the Revenue Commissioners. You can claim up to €5000 per annum at 20% i.e. € 1,000 reimbursed to you. You can download the form to claim 3rd level relief from Oasis (or whatever it is called now).

SM

I am considering doing a Distance Learning MBA, and am trying to decide between Manchester and Open University. While I prefer Manchester's good reputation and high ranking in the FT table, it takes 3.5 yrs, as opposed to 2.5 yrs for the Open University one. At this stage in my life, I really think the shorter course would be beneficial for my family life.

Does anybody have any advice for me in making this decision? Am I wrong to focus on the course duration? I have read all the above posts.

JR...can you explain something to me....the OU does not appear in the FT rankings for the reasons it gives below. How does Manchester get in the ranking if it's also distance education? Is it because they offer a fulltime option also?

"Do not be concerned that this MBA does not appear in either the Financial Times or Wall Street Journal league tables. These tables are restricted to full-time study programmes, many students on which seek employment after they complete. The OU MBA does not qualify for these tables because it is for people studying part-time and already in a managerial position."

Hi

Manchester, Bradford, Durham etc have DL MBA programs listed in the FT and Which rankings because they offer full time MBA courses. The part time and DL offerings can be ranked in the same way because the course content, assignments and exams are almost identical, and the end qualification is the same, regardless of the delivery method.

SM

So are we suggesting that OU is fudging the matter, and that they just didn't make it ?

So are we suggesting that OU is fudging the matter, and that they just didn't make it ?
No....the OU doesn't offer any full-time study option (unlike the other universities mentioned). Therefore it does not qualify for the FT rankings (The FT only deals with full-time courses, not distance education). Remember that the OU is triple-accredited...it's not fudging anything.

A previous poster mentioned doing a part time UCD MBA. I would also be interested in this. I went on the website and the standard MBA doesn't mention anything about part-time. The Exec MBA does, but the standard one would fit me better I think. Anyone shed any light on how the courses are offered? Also, for a part-time MBA, what would people expect the time outlay to be per week for classes/study ...15 hours?

DCU MBA in my opinion was much more impressive than undergraduate course of study in another Dublin University. Agree with amgd28 that the main advantage gained is the ranges of experiences from classmates through class discussions, projects etc - distance learning would be unlikely to offer the same depth here.
Camel - Executive means part time for most MBA courses, the main course of study would be the same as 'standard' one. Hours wise as a part time student: 8 hours lectures per week, about 10 hours reading and project work, another 3 hours or so on group work. Plus most people on busy jobs - say goodbye to social life. that said, it was very rewarding and I would recommend it as an exercise in itself, let alone the career benefits.

Thanks for the response obella.
Why would you recommend the DCU MBA?
The social impact of the MBA doesn't worry me too much, but I do have a little toddler that has to be taken into account!

Do any of the MBAs focus more on entrepreneurial activity than career development. My preference would be to engage in the former. Or are they all equal in that way?

It would be worthwhile attending the open days which are on around this time of year to assess one course against another, especially if you want to focus on particular strengths (such as entrepreueurial). Most MBAs focus on the larger corporate stories of success and failure as far as I know though - I guess most people with entrepreneurial strengths get out there and do it instead of spending all their spare time in lectures when they could be making money! There is an Entrepreneurship subject in DCU second year however.
Benefits? Smaller classes so strong relationships developed and more access to the war stories of your classmates, one long day a week instead of two shorter ones - means less travel time, more time to get reading etc out of the way. It also suited me as I live closer than to UCD

Have a little toddler as well and for that reason chose the MBA with the OUBS rather than UCC. With the OUBS you now interact with other students online for your TMAs so you do get an appreciation for the experience of others. For my last TMA I was in online discussion with one person in a UK Software company and another in the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office in Hong Kong. I found this very useful even though we are not talking in person. Just five months in but i would recommend it to anyone.

How does the Open University stack up cost-wise? I had a quick look and the modules look very expensive, 2 to 3 grand sterling. How many of these do you have to do?
I think it might be an option for me alright.
What is the course completion timeframe?

Hi Camel,

I looked at Open Uni too, and was a little put off by costs. not only are the modules quite expensive, but they increase by 10% between two intakes 6 months apart. As you will be taking modules for approx 2.5 yrs, there is no way of knowing how much they will increase in the meantime.

I am 95% decided to go with one for Manchester Business School. The prices are transparent, they are fixed for the course once you start, and there is a 10% discount for early registration. I reckon it will work out approx 25% cheaper.

Just to point out, cost was not #1 in making my decision, however, the transparency of the fee structure helped me make up my mind.

Back