maynooth, celbridge or kilcock

maradonna

what are peoples thoughts on the locations mentioned above and purchasing a house. i like kilcock but the public transport is really bad and i havent heard of any plans for this to change in the near future. maynooth is a nice town but where would one buy a house which is not student infested. Celbridge is a nice town but is only served by a regular bus service. i know theres a trian form this town but its a good bit of the way.....confused and not knowing what to do as im a FTB..

bought in maynooth 3years ago and honestly where i live you wouldn't even know there was a university in the town. if you keep away from kingsbury, meadowbrook and that general area you would be fine. never hear or see any student goings on at all

I've been in Celbridge for 30 years and raised my family here, very good place to live, has most things you could ask for and good people overall.

thanks for the feedback - its just one of the most difficult decisions to make and trying to find the right location for schools etc.. is hard

I am looking at Maynooth myself. By far the best of the 3 imo. To me the university is a bonus, gives energy to what could otherwise be like any other country town.

I would have to recommend Maynooth too. The frequent train link with Dublin is a big advantage. The fact that the uni is there would be a safety net if ever the house needed to be rented out.

I would have to recommend Maynooth too. The frequent train link with Dublin is a big advantage. The fact that the uni is there would be a safety net if ever the house needed to be rented out.

I agree with two out of the three! Renting to students is not an option these days, as they have so much choice. I know of 4 houses I lived in myself as a student (different landlords) and they've lain empty for the past 6-18 months. That, and they're building more on campus apartments!

Consider Leixlip. Has a much better public transport service than the best of the other 3 (Maynooth), with 2 train stations, 3 regular bus routes (66/A/B), several special bus routes (66x etc) as well as a proper half-hourly Nitelink service on Friday and Saturday nights (Maynooth only has 3 buses). It also has two slips to the M4 and is 5 miles closer to Dublin city centre than Maynooth is.

I've been living in Kilcock for the past 7 years and much as I really like it here, the public transport system is really bad and has not changed since I've been here. Kilcock is a lovely town, very friendly, but you need to drive most of the time. Great schools but for shopping etc you need to go to Maynooth. Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

ok - it has been decided to move to maynooth - now to find the right location :) thanks all for your responses

I think you have made a great choice. I always wanted to buy there. I am in Enfield just didn't push myself when buying to buy there Don't regret it as I have been able to do lots of travelling but it would be handier for nights out in Dublin.
Good luck. Some nice houses around.

We are in Maynooth and i barely notice the students.
Our estate is only small but it part of a bigger estate which must have students but unless I go to the housing estates in to around the Newtown Inn I never notice them.

Not living here a year yet but we like it,there is a lovely playground,loads of shops,good schools and buses and trains for escaping!

Back