Matching 60's red brick for extension

JohnDigital

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a semi-detached house that was built in the mid 60's and we are just about to start a garage conversion. I'm having trouble matching the original brick type. Ive been told that they are most likely Butterly bricks, but using the following database i cant seem to find a good match http://www.cmb.ie/brick-database/

Here are a few pictures of the exact brick. From the pictures you can see they are frogged. There are a few houses on the road that have been extended but they have all used different bricks, close but not the same as the original.

If you're near Dublin it may be worth visiting the salvage yard that is to the rere of the John Player site on the South Circular Road.

Thanks guys, I actually found someone on boards.ie that knew the name of the bricks and they are actually still available brand new. So I think I will go that route.

Aldridge Multi-Rustic by IBStock. I picked up some samples this morning from Chadwicks Sallynoggin and they are a prefect match.

Aldridge Multi-Rustic by IBStock. I picked up some samples this morning from Chadwicks Sallynoggin and they are a perfect match.

Thanks John. Handy to know because they look like the ones used on the front of our house.

P.S. What does frogged mean?

Thanks John. Handy to know because they look like the ones used on the front of our house.

P.S. What does frogged mean?
I think the OP may have got that one slightly wrong. The pic however does not show the frogged detail but it could be there
A frogged brick is one that has an indent in it like the entire face of the brick is recessed inwards.
Link

Back