Mary-Lou "United Ireland is within touching distance"

redstar

Is that really the right tone to set just after the DUP decided to go back into Stormont?
Sounds like triumphalist gloating to me and not exactly the way to convince Unionists of a 'new Ireland'

The SF mask has slipped...

In many instances within those corridors, Donaldson and sinn fein will have quiet words to each other about what they are about to say.

The sf comments were most likely aimed at the hardened nationalist type in Northern Ireland to keep them from querying any deals / side deals Donaldson got and thus a smooth journey back into power sharing.

For most people its 20+ years away before the conditions will be right.

I'm not sure the DUP will be paying that much attention to a remark from a foreign politician, probably too busy ripping themselves asunder over the next few weeks.

Numbers don't lie, a unity referendum would lose in Northern Ireland and the proper debate on a unified taxation model and symbols has not really even begun down south and once it does, support for unity will slip. It would still pass but be closer then people think

I'm not sure the DUP will be paying that much attention to a remark from a foreign politician, probably too busy ripping themselves asunder over the next few weeks.

Numbers don't lie, a unity referendum would lose in Northern Ireland and the proper debate on a unified taxation model and symbols has not really even begun down south and once it does, support for unity will slip. It would still pass but be closer then people think
I don't know if it would pass in this country. I'd be okay with a different flag and a different anthem but the massive economic subsidy would be a problem, as would joining the Commonwealth.
The irony is that if people really do want a united Ireland then the Shinners are the last party they should vote for as the Unionists will never agree to join a country led by the people who used to murder them.

Mary Lou's comments were aimed firmly at voters in this country with an eye to the upcoming election.

I don't know if it would pass in this country. I'd be okay with a different flag and a different anthem but the massive economic subsidy would be a problem, as would joining the Commonwealth.
The irony is that if people really do want a united Ireland then the Shinners are the last party they should vote for as the Unionists will never agree to join a country led by the people who used to murder them.

Mary Lou's comments were aimed firmly at voters in this country with an eye to the upcoming election.
And for those in the North, what would it mean for day to day things... medical care, NHS, Sainsburys etc
People working in the North 'near shore' to service London.

How many people are willing to risk things like that that for a flag and an anthem?

And for those in the North, what would it mean for day to day things... medical care, NHS, Sainsburys etc
People working in the North 'near shore' to service London.

How many people are willing to risk things like that that for a flag and an anthem?

A few years ago I would have said no-one in their right minds in NI would give up their education and health systems for ours but I think that has changed. The NHS there is really struggling and they are beginning to lose Consultants to the HSE where the new contract is now comparatively better. For all the issues we have in the Oireachtas, our governments have been relatively cohesive and functional, c.f Stormont and Westminster. The gap is widening and the soft centre/alliance voters may be persuaded for economic and practical reasons.

Well the DUP are in the eye of a storm as they grapple with a 'win' (Donaldson & co) and a 'surrender' (Jamie Bryson and Jim McAllister) as they all overlook the huge opportunity that Northern Ireland has economically. Grasping that would delay any united Ireland.

A few years ago I would have said no-one in their right minds in NI would give up their education and health systems for ours but I think that has changed. The NHS there is really struggling and they are beginning to lose Consultants to the HSE where the new contract is now comparatively better. For all the issues we have in the Oireachtas, our governments have been relatively cohesive and functional, c.f Stormont and Westminster. The gap is widening and the soft centre/alliance voters may be persuaded for economic and practical reasons.
By any metric our education system is vastly better than their and has been for decades.
Our health service is far better funded and probably better from a service delivery perspective as well.

They are a failed statelet, kept alive on a diet of handouts and subsidies from the British taxpayer. From an economic perspective we'd be out of our minds to take responsibility for them without very substantial long term financial support from their current masters.

Well the DUP are in the eye of a storm as they grapple with a 'win' (Donaldson & co) and a 'surrender' (Jamie Bryson and Jim McAllister) as they all overlook the huge opportunity that Northern Ireland has economically. Grasping that would delay any united Ireland.
Do they really have a huge opportunity economically? I know that they should have but their shoddy education system, their racism and xenophobia, their tribalism and their bigotry all suggest to me that there's no real prospect of them thriving as long as their politics is dominated by child killers and god bothering bigots, all trapped in a hatred filled zero sum game.

If it was a building you'd knock it down and start again.

Well pardoxically if SF deliver on economy - unity is pushed out. If SF fail unity is brought forward but they are unelectable north and south.

The DUP mirror splits in Republicans - the insane crowd get smaller and smaller.

Well pardoxically if SF deliver on economy - unity is pushed out.
If SF fail unity is brought forward but they are unelectable north and south.
I don't understand that point. Are you saying that unity is less likely with a SF government? If so I agree.

If a success is made of NI economy. Screw it up and they would be viewed as incapable on execution but great on rhetoric. Unionists are good at execution on limited aspects.

If a success is made of NI economy. Screw it up and they would be viewed as incapable on execution but great on rhetoric. Unionists are good at execution on limited aspects.
Nobody will ever make a success of the Northern Irish economy. It's not possible.

The cynic in me thinks the SF statements on a border poll are a distraction whilst they either make the tough decisions that they need to make or chicken out and blame the DUP/Tories/Brits/800 years etc etc. Smoke and mirrors, don't look over there, look at my nice shiny unity bauble

Last edited:
The cynic in me thinks the SF statements on a border poll are a distraction whilst they either make the tough decisions that they need to make or chicken out and blame the DUP/Tories/Brits/800 years etc etc. Smoke and mirrors, don't look over there, look at my nice shiny unity bauble
Well they used to be good at creating smoke, and fire and explosions, but I'm not too sure if they ever spent much time looking in the mirror.

From an economic perspective we'd be out of our minds to take responsibility for them without very substantial long term financial support from their current masters.
Offloading The North will cost Britain a king's ransom, but one I think they'd gladly pay. We should drive a really hard bargain.

The DUP and the British government bang on about how secure they have made the union. I hope they are right but SF and the Irish government should not be criticised for banging on about UI, just coz it might upset Jeffrey or spoil the Michelle/Emma love in.

Offloading The North will cost Britain a king's ransom, but one I think they'd gladly pay. We should drive a really hard bargain.
Yea, the cost of running the entire thing for the next 40 years, all pensions for all current residents and another €20 billion a year disturbance money, index linked, for the next 50 years.

If that’s their opening offer I’d be willing to start talking.

In the 21st century I don’t get this United Ireland caper. United Ireland or not I’ll still be shovelling the proverbial while the chosen few will be lavishing in riches. What’s in it for me? Or indeed the plastic Paddy Celtic jersey wearing brigade?

In the 21st century I don’t get this United Ireland caper. United Ireland or not I’ll still be shovelling the proverbial while the chosen few will be lavishing in riches. What’s in it for me? Or indeed the plastic Paddy Celtic jersey wearing brigade?
Feeling cynical today?

Back