Married Couple Tax Credits

As your wife has no income in her own right you would get higher tax credits and SPCOP as a married person so it makes sense to be taxed as a married person

As regards the State Pension, the full amount of State pension (yours and your wife's portion) are both taxable to you as this is your pension based on the contributions you paid.
Your tax credits and SPCOP will be reduced by the amount of the combined pension

pensioner new partner married couple tax credits

Hi,
My pensioner partner and I are considering getting married. we wonder if this would benifit us tax wise or would we be better off remaining single?I work 23.5 hours per week and net take home pay is €350
Thanks

I got married in 2011 at which point I was earning 31k and my husband 29k.
In 2012 I was earning 33k and my husband 30k
In 2013 I now earn 27,500 and my husband 31k

Is there any benefit to being jointly assessed? Do I need to register my marriage and how do I do this?

The standard rate cut off is generally €32,800 i.e after this you pay 41% PAYE.

If either of you earn above this amount then it is worth being jointly assessed because you can "share" some of the cut off limit e.g. you could increase your cut off limit to €34,800 and reduce your husband's to €30,800.

There is plenty of info and examples available here:
http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/married-persons-taxation.html

You can also transfer some of your tax credits between each other but this is generally only of benefit if one of you is not using your full tax credits allocation.

Myself and my wife both are taxed at 41%.

We got married in 2010 and i have never informed revenue as I believe there is no extra benefit.

However she is not on maternity leave for 1 year so i am thinking perhaps it might be worth letting revenue know.

Can anyone advise if this is the case??

Back