Mallorca

mufc77

Going to book flights with girlfriend for a few nights in the middle of May. Any areas that should be avoided? Not been there in 25 years. Palma Nova was nice when I was 7 anyway!

Avoid the South Magaluf, palma Nova, Santa Ponsa. The northern resors far nicer. Try Puerto Pollensa, beautiful beach and overall a lovely resort. Soller is also lovely.

Personally I still like Palma Nova. If you are only going for a few days you might consider staying in Palma as its a good destination for a short break. What is the objective of the tirip,ie, sunbathing, sight seeing, nightlife? Might be able to give you some more pointers.

thanks all.

lightswitch, it is mainly sunbathing, drinking (not roudiness), some karaoke bars in general.

i am leaning towards palma nova, as there is a hotel called bahia palma nova just on the beach and there is a super market, restaurants nearby also. there was a bahia apartments when i was there in the 80s but not sure this is the same place.

ive checked out the shuttles from the airport, they seem reasonable.

however, i would welcome some tips from you, thanks.

ps. am i better off with a one bed apartment, or a studio?

I went to Mallorca last year for the first time and stay near Puerto Pollensa. I found this a nice area. It was not as developed as other resorts in Mallorca but there still seemed to be enough restaurant/bars. However, I travelled with 2 young kids so mainly stayed around the hotel in the evenings.
You could check out this website - It might be an option.

http://www.puertopollensa.com/

Try Soller I was there last year and it was lovely. I am just back from Cala D'Or this week and the resort was very quiet, but if you like a beach holiday it was lovely. The local hotels are offering half board packages for nothing. All you can eat and great selection. We used local transport from airport and then a regional bus from the bus station in Placa Espana in Palma. We also always spend a night or two in Palma as well as on the coast. Palma is a lovely city.

From what you say it sounds like it sounds like Palma Nova would suit you fine. With regard to studio or 1 bed if there is only two of you it probably doesn't matter much assuming you will be eating out. I would fork out a bit extra for a sea view, thats a personal thing though. LS.

mallorca seems very expensive for a three bed villa with pool as opposed to lanzarote/fuerteventura is this just a supply and demand thing? the spec seems as good in the canaries but there doesn't seem to be the same availability of flights. mallorca (aer lingus, ryanair, easyjet, jet2.com) lan/fue. (aer lingus) any alternatives that i'm missing?

Back