Making Timber Gate

Jay1981

Hey, I have a wooden back gate but the wood is a bit rotten at the bottom so i plan on replacing the wood. I plan on going to the co-op to get wood but i'm unsure what wood to get. Is there a certain type? Does it have to be treated? If so what is the best way to do this?

Depends on the gate but you could just get some 13mm thick tongue n grove wood. Treat it yourself with wood preserver.

You will need a pencil, measuring tape, jigsaw, hammer and a box of nails (18-20mm long should be fine).To make the job easier you will more than likely want to take the gate off so a screw driver will also be needed.

I made up a side gate for my in-laws a couple of years back - i used a sheet of marine ply and used excess of the sheet to make up the Z frame on the back. Router to cut light v grooves into the front of the gate and all was cool - very easy and will last forever with no preservative necessary.

I see you are in the Munster area. I made gates for my side enterances last year. I got the wood from 'Mitre'. It is a one man outfit on the Tramore Road in Cork. Down the lane on the right hand side of the galvanising factory.
He has two main types of wood from Brazil which are imitation mahogony. They come in 2.5m lengths and are about 6" wide and were about €12 a length. When they are treated and used with stainless button top bolts they come up excellent and look the real deal.
Give me a shout if you need further info. I'm very happy with them.

I made up gates for the side and main entrances of a house I was working on last year. I suggest you choose between pressure-treated softwood and hardwood.

Treating softwood yourself is not the same - even if you brush each part individually before assembly it's not the same as pressure treatment. Wood will rot where it's in contact with the ground or other wood, where water cannot easily escape, endgrain exposed to rain etc; where the wood crosses or joins will tend to stay wet unless you design out as much of this as possible. Through-sawn softwood may tend to warp and twist as you'll be taking it from dry storage and exposing it to the elements.

I used pressure-treated softwood. Found it okay but difficulty to add any kind of stain as what's there already resists that. If I was doing it again, particularly a small gate, I'd probably use hardwood.

My two cents' worth....

Back