Making payment using sort code/Account number (Revolut)

Peckham

I'm about to make my first payment for previous years. I rang HMRC this morning and they gave me all the details on how to make the payment.

However, they gave me the BIC/IBAN number and when I go to make the payment through Revolut it is looking for Sort Code and Account number instead.

I've looked at the HMRC website and I see it gives these bank details alongside the BIC and IBAN. For others who have used Revolut, is this the account you have transferred to?

• Sort code - 08 32 20
  • account number - 12001004

The last 8 digits of an iban are the account number, and the preceding 6 numbers to the account number make up the sort code.

If that's the case you should be fine.

That's what threw me! It's different. The IBAN I was given ends in 4793, whereas the account above is different.

Too long on hold to ring them back. Might transfer through BOI instead (more expensive, but at least it accepts IBAN).

The last 8 digits of an iban are the account number, and the preceding 6 numbers to the account number make up the sort code.

If that's the case you should be fine.
That is generally the case in Ireland. It may not be the case in other jurisdictions.

These bank details are for paying within the UK. If you’re paying from overseas eg. Ireland there is different account details further down the above link

These bank details are for paying within the UK. If you’re paying from overseas eg. Ireland there is different account details further down the above link
Yep, I see that, but it only gives IBAN and BIC which Revolut doesn't seem to accept.

I made these HMRC payments using sort code and a/c number only using Revolut from my sterling balance.

Unless you have to I’d strongly advise against doing this from an account with a euro balance as you will pay more in fees and you may not get the amount correct in sterling.

I made these HMRC payments using sort code and a/c number only using Revolut from my sterling balance.

Unless you have to I’d strongly advise against doing this from an account with a euro balance as you will pay more in fees and you may not get the amount correct in sterling.
I don't have a Revolut account and haven't been able to open one despite many attempts, so I will have to make a transfer from a euro account and take the hit.

For those who do it this way, how much extra do you transfer to be sure?

I have calculated 17 years @ class 2 ~ £3,080 ~ €3,600

Also, do you need to call them before making the payment or is afterwards ok?

I did the transfer in an AIB branch, using a Paylink Euro form. That way I could send sterling, with me paying all bank charges, including their bank's charge. I think their bank charged about 7 euro. I didn't want to risk underpaying. I called beforehand, told them the years I was buying and they gave me the sterling total.

It is such a good deal I wasn't worried about paying a few extra euros.

For convoluted reasons I overpaid my lump sum payment of 17 years by £50 or so. They just credited the overpayment to my following year’s payment and I just paid the balance when that year’s payment became due.

Last edited:
I just read your message and saw that you rang HMRC. Would you mind sharing the number you used to contact them? I would like to ring to follow up on mine - waiting a year now. Thanks so much.

I rang the general NI enquiry line + 44 191 203 7010

Was on hold for about 35 minutes to speak to someone, but the person I spoke with was super helpful and could see all my records, correspondence etc.

I received my letter from HM Revenue (dated the 7th of March) this morning. I can pay the past voluntary contributions but the deadline is tomorrow or there's a penalty! I called them to explain but I have found them to be very unhelpful, not nasty, just sound like they are winging it and don't really know what they are doing. They advised me just to pay it and call after a few days and they would let me know if there was a penalty. It felt like he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Anywho.... I have set up the transfer as instructed with the IBAN through my bank account and have to wait for money to clear before I can send it on, which will be tomorrow at this stage.

I'm with PTSB so not sure how long it will take to transfer the funds to the UK? Can anyone suggest a quicker way to send please?

I received my letter from HM Revenue (dated the 7th of March) this morning. I can pay the past voluntary contributions but the deadline is tomorrow or there's a penalty! I called them to explain but I have found them to be very unhelpful, not nasty, just sound like they are winging it and don't really know what they are doing. They advised me just to pay it and call after a few days and they would let me know if there was a penalty. It felt like he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Anywho.... I have set up the transfer as instructed with the IBAN through my bank account and have to wait for money to clear before I can send it on, which will be tomorrow at this stage.

I'm with PTSB so not sure how long it will take to transfer the funds to the UK? Can anyone suggest a quicker way to send please?
Is the deadline definitely today? The extension to make contributions is meant to be up to 5th April 2025.

Back