Making cement

Birroc

Hi,

I have to make some cement to fill some holes in a new build and I have never made it before. So I am going to mix sand with cement in a 4:1 ratio and then add water until it is 'thick' but not 'sloppy'. Is that all there is to it ? Any tips on making good cement ?

Note : I have to do it by hand as I have no cement mixer.

My method would be to:
- mix the sand and cement (both dry) well, until you can't distinguish the two
- make a heap and then a hole in the middle (like a volcano)
- add water to the volcano (making sure you don't add too much)
- mix it in well walking in a circle around the volcano
- if it is still too dry make another volcano and repeat as required.
The key thing is not to add too much water at once, especially as you approach wet cement.

PS. Are you filling horizontal or vertical holes? If vertical, you probably want relatively dry cement as otherwise it will sag...

PPS. I am also an amateur cement maker, so hopefully some of the pros will give corrections??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats exactly the way I would do it , maybe add a bit of mortar plasticiser if you have some left over from the block laying.

If you haven't got mortar plasticiser, cheap washing up liquid will do (apparently the good stuff is too thick? Or is that me!).

hi Birroc,
when mixing the cement, ensure no wet cement makes contact with your skin as it may lead to a cement burn.

Oh yeah, and make sure you're not in a windy area - cement dust is your eyes is ferocious.

Hi,

I have to make some cement to fill some holes in a new build and I have never made it before. So I am going to mix sand with cement in a 4:1 ratio and then add water until it is 'thick' but not 'sloppy'. Is that all there is to it ? Any tips on making good cement ?

Note : I have to do it by hand as I have no cement mixer.
It's mortar you want to make not cement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PzdiH-rUE

Thanks for all the replies. Yes mortar, for horizontal holes. Yeah I have some plasticiser somewhere. How much should i use ?

Back