Making a site into garden

Birroc

Hi,

Can someone give the steps for making a site into a garden. House already built. The site is very uneven and full of rocks - lots of weeds too. I am guessing I need to put down a powerful weedkiller, then maybe roll the ground flat (?) removing rocks as we go, then a digger to spread topsoil etc.?
Any advice or instructions appreciated.

Hi There,

I know exactly where you are coming from. Fortunately for us our farmer neighbour has been a God send. But before we statred the gardens we got our builder to put in poured kerbing to form the driveway etc and shape the gardens.
Our neighbour sprayed the whole site for us and after about 2/3 weeks he got his tractor in and rotavated it. I then had to import top soil and he organised a couple of local lads to level it, and rake out stones and he even organised the bags of seed. I only had to pay the labour - the ocal lads and cost of seeds. He point blank refused to take money for his time and use of machines ! He's been a gem of a neighbour, he works in Coillte and has been very helpful in getting hedging & trees etc and is a well of information and helpful advice.

So you should enquire about some local guys, work is not that plentiful now. Agree a labour cost and best of luck.

Secman

I would start by getting a plan. It won't cost much more the €300-€400 and will make a huge difference. It will even be cheaper if you don't ask the designer to specify the plants for each bed. I got mine done for €200.
Then put down the kerbs and shape the garden. It is worth getting someone in to do this right first time. Think of the drainage you will need from your driveway and lawn before laying the kerbs.
It is my experience that putting down a lawn is a good way to start the actual garden. At least then you can stop the weeds popping up everywhere. I'd spray everything and then start seeding grass. You can always dig up some of the lawn later on if needs be.

I got a good tip from a landscaper who said you should always work from the back to the front. That way you won't have machinery trampling across and aera that is finished. It's taken me 2 years to get to some of the work out the front but at least I can get machinery in with ease now.

+1 what secman and VOR have said and as follows; -

Normally the developer must lay a garden including subsoils drainage where required.
This includes removal of rock, importation of topsoil, rolling, seeding etc.
This usually isn't optional, its normally part of the planning permission.
The fact that this hasn't been done raises concerns about drains etc.
He may also have been required to install party fencing to the rear.
You may find he was obliged to have installed boundary walls too.

We saw the disgraceful condition of several estates last night on Primetime and that's not how sites should be left.
If there are very large rocks 300mm-600mm the builder should have removed these and any builders debris from the site before handover.
If there are ditches dischargign water onto your land these normally should be culverted and filled in as they provide harbourage for rats and convey effluent and run off.

If the above doesn't apply or the developer has done a runner you should start by undertaking a Health and Safety check of the land to make sure its not contaminated.
Don't ask me what it might be contaminated with - its your land - ditch run off not properly culverted, sewers not properly sealed, septic tanks overflowing, bits of old barbed wire, weedkiller, DDT - you name it: use protective equipment and handle objects with care.
You could seek an assurance from the developer/ his builder/ his engineer/ his solicitor that the land is okay - contaminated land might not be covered by any certs for the building per se.

That having been said, and bearing in mind we don't know the specific site or its problems, you could start by removing the larger rocks and any builders debris - this will just hamper the rotavator if not done before hand.
Plasterboard and gypsum products must be taken off the land to a recycler.
After that rotavate the land which will loosen more or smaller rocks for you to remove or make a rockery with if they look okay - cost reductions will follow if you can reuse materials.
Follow on by raking level and importing topsoil, seeding and rolling.
Apply weedkiller as required and as advised by the manufacturer.
Select grass and weedkiller suitable for new house sites.
Its tough work - allow time and seek help if required.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back