making a gravel driveway

rossiewoman

does nayone have advice on making a gravel driveway, or can point me in the direction of somewhere wlse
took photos today but can find the leads for camera to upload here!
basically we have a long drive up to the house. house is on a height.
there is hardcore there 5 years this was put down when house was being built.it is well compacted
my questions are -
in preparation-
1) what should i spray it with to kill the weeds
2) then should i put down Mypex?
3) what depth of gravel would i need
4) can anyone recommend nice gravel
also, is there anything i can do to stop the gravel moving?

thanks

RossieWoman,
I could have written your query myself. I'm looking for something very similar.
I have no answers, but will be interested to see what replies you get.

I think Roadstone did some kind of honeycomb structure that was useful for holding gravel on a drive. Not sure if ti was any good on a slope though...

Very difficult to get gravel to hold on a slope especially if there are cars turning onto it.

I have no connection with roadstone.

1) what should i spray it with to kill the weeds - Roundup Biactive, it will kill all weeds and the roots too. Spray at least 7 - 10 days before digging up your old driveway.

anything i can do to stop the gravel moving? - I am planning doing my own driveway at the moment and have been advised not to put on the stone too deep as this results in deep tyre tracks etc. Its best to put on 25mm of dust (the same colour as the final stone), roll in well, and then apply 25mm of stone on top of this.

Just seen a beautiful driveway this evening that was done with light gold stone. Manor Stone supply it [broken link removed] but I think it is quite expensive .

Use Gallop to spray your weeds. It will kill from the root like Roundup but is cheaper. The deeper the amount of stone the more it will move. BUt in using gravel you will never ever get perfection. Make sure the surface is well compacted with trunking so that any traffic will not drive the ground down. 2 ince sof gravel would suffice. A naturally washed sandstone looks good. But here is a tip... avoid garden centres and driveway specilaists. If you live near a quarry ask for a sample of their stone/gravel and ask them for a price per tone delivered...dont outline that it is fora driveway... if you do you will easily pay €20 per tonne more.

Back