Major problems in 2 yr old house - developer responsibility?

caroline82

I've been in my new house for two years. In the first year, I had a some problems; several leaks with water down through the ceiling, pipes outside caved in, and probably most upsetting, a gas fire installed incorrectly which caused a very dangerous leak. The developer sorted out these problems for me.
Now i've got another problem, I've a chandelier light on my landing which began flickering the other night and then went out. I turned it off at the switch, and a few minutes later could smell burning. I turned off the fuses and called an electrician. When he took the light down the roof was all scorched and it seems I was lucky that a fire didnt break out. He thinks that the wiring was badly done. I think I will need to get all the wiring checked because I'm so nervous of fire now that I dont feel safe sleeping there anymore.
I'm wondering if the developer has to take any responsibility for this latest problem even though I've been in the house for 2 years. I'm also wondering if this kind of thing is normal in a new house and if I'm just over reacting.

Yes it is covered by Homebond, I had thought that it only covered for structural faults and didnt think electrical wiring would be deemed as such but could be wrong.

You're right, Homebond covers structural defects. Wiring is not part of the structure. You'll need to pursue the builder on this one.
Leo

I've been in my new house for two years. In the first year, I had a some problems; several leaks with water down through the ceiling, pipes outside caved in, and probably most upsetting, a gas fire installed incorrectly which caused a very dangerous leak. The developer sorted out these problems for me.
Now i've got another problem, I've a chandelier light on my landing which began flickering the other night and then went out. I turned it off at the switch, and a few minutes later could smell burning. I turned off the fuses and called an electrician. When he took the light down the roof was all scorched and it seems I was lucky that a fire didnt break out. He thinks that the wiring was badly done. I think I will need to get all the wiring checked because I'm so nervous of fire now that I dont feel safe sleeping there anymore.
I'm wondering if the developer has to take any responsibility for this latest problem even though I've been in the house for 2 years. I'm also wondering if this kind of thing is normal in a new house and if I'm just over reacting.

Homebond only covers structural defect and even then it has limited cover. Developer has legal resposibility for six years under contract law where poor or non regulatory workmanship is found to be in existance

Thanks for that Kkelliher, I'm glad to know that there is some come back with them if things weren't done right.
Thanks to all for your responses.

You should check and see that Opinions of Compliance were offered with the premises, and see whether the electrical work was signed off.

Statute of Limitations is 6 years.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Is the statue of limitations of the legislation that applies here from the time of build or the time of discovery of the fault?
Also what piece of legislation exactly covers this.

Probably from time of purchase, rather than either built time or discovery time?

Back