Major Passport Emergency

FifiB

Hi all,
wondering if anyone can give me advice.. realised this evening at 7pm that my 13yr olds passport is out of date... raging that I didnt spot this as am very organised when it comes to holidays... We are due to fly to Croatia at 7.30am monday morning...we are planning to go to passport office in Cork first thing in the morning...however all the information i can find states that an emergency passport still takes 3 working days... do we have a hope in hell of getting one on the day... we cannot afford to rebook flights and it a family wedding on Friday, very devasted and angry with my own stupidity, any constructive advice gratefully accepted....

If its any help, I know somebody that was in a similar predicament and they made contact with their local TD,(he was a Minister at the time) who assisted and got the persons sorted.

Thanks a mill,
I have done that and am very hopeful that we will have success but its very vague as to whether its doable in a day... dont know if the Passports are actually printed on site in Cork or done at some centralised place...., have a very teary 13year old blaming herself for not realising it was out of date....fingers crossed the lovely staff in Cork will help us out.....

You might have to volunteer to travel to Dublin to collect the passport from the Passport office in Molesworth Street, Dublin. Best of luck with it.

If you know someone working in the passport office,talk to them about it.
They should be able to organise a passport in a day.

A few years ago I realised I'd lost my passport the day I was supposed to travel. I brought everything into Molesworth st and they issued me an emergency one on the same day.

A few years ago I realised I'd lost my passport the day I was supposed to travel. I brought everything into Molesworth st and they issued me an emergency one on the same day.

Childrens passport applications are more complex than adults - more checking required. Hence they may take longer.

My husband got his passport renewed in Cork a few years ago and when I picked it up the date of birth was wrong (out by 20 years!). It was correct on the forms and everything and they noticed when they realised he didn't look that old!

They sent us off shopping for an hour or 2 and had a new one printed when we got back.

This was a few years ago (maybe 8 or 9) so things may have changed.

Good luck

Update... no luck....

We will have her passport on Monday morning... have to collect it in Cork so we have had to book new flights...
apparently the emergency passport and one days were stopped a few months back... and also as someone said it is a more detailed situation as she is a minor.

Staff were very nice but seem to be unable to bend on this....passports are not printed in Cork or Dublin for Minors they are from a central location (top secret I guess) and I had a few calls put in by someone with pull with the DFA.

Missing first day of week long holiday for Brother-in-laws wedding, now flying Dublin-Gatwick, spending 8hrs there and on to Dubrovnik for 9.30am tuesday morning... we will be like the living dead...

At least we are still getting to go and will NEVER make this stupid mistake again, thanks for all the advice and comments....hope nobody else makes my mistake....

Last edited:
Back