Mains water frozen - I think. Tips?

Sorry for a late post on this issue...

One possible stop-gap solution is if your neighbour still has water, get a long garden hose and connect both outside taps together and your house can be backfed to get you through

You will possibly need to defrost the outside taps on both houses in this weather, a warn kettle slowly poured over the tap while someone else
is inside with a hair dyrer at the other end of the pipe works pretty quick

The hose will freeze at some stage, and just wind it up and put beside a radiator until thawed then refit

I had no water Christmas eve,,poured water into stopcock at the gate and got it going again.But Christmas day that didnt work at all.Now that all water has gone which means that the tank in the hot press is empty.What I want to know is if I can light the fire seeing as there is no water in the hot press tank?

Your hot water cylinder will be full of water. The tank in the attic supplying the cylinder will be empty. This tank in the attic will fill again when the mains supplying it starts to flow again
You can use the heating.

Thank you for the reply...I thought when I had used up water from the hot taps...the cylinder would be empty

Thank you for the reply...I thought when I had used up water from the hot taps...the cylinder would be empty

Not true, as Villa1 said once the header tank empties there is no pressure to force the water through the cylinder and thus it remains full.

Sorry for a late post on this issue...

One possible stop-gap solution is if your neighbour still has water, get a long garden hose and connect both outside taps together and your house can be backfed to get you through

You will possibly need to defrost the outside taps on both houses in this weather, a warn kettle slowly poured over the tap while someone else
is inside with a hair dyrer at the other end of the pipe works pretty quick

The hose will freeze at some stage, and just wind it up and put beside a radiator until thawed then refit

Great advise - worked a treat for us. Our mains was frozen since last Thursday morning. It has just thawed out in the last hour.

neighbour got his back yesteday but not us ... Why? both went at same time. We have ran a hose from theirs to fill our tank.

Back