Maiden Name on House Purchase

Green Flag

Hi

I am in the process of buying a house. myself and my husband are seperated (but not legally seperated). I want to purchase the house in my own name (maiden name), fresh start and all that.

Is there any issue with that?

Thanks

At a practical level can you produce ID and proof of address with your maiden name on it.

I've heard of people trying to revert to maiden names finding some aspects a bit difficult. Your solicitor will advise the best course of action.

Hi

I am in the process of buying a house. myself and my husband are seperated (but not legally seperated). I want to purchase the house in my own name (maiden name), fresh start and all that.

Is there any issue with that?

Thanks
Your bigger issue could be the lack of a legal separation agreement. Without this, the banks have no idea what financial commitments you may have if and when a separation/divorce is obtained, so they can't accurately calculate the affordability. Some lenders may accept a letter from a solicitor signed by both parties, confirming that any current financial arrangements (if any) are to be continued with, but others will not even consider an application until you can provide a separation agreement.

As Joe_90 said, you can get a mortgage in your maiden name, but only if your ID (passport or driver's licence) and your proof of address are in the same name.

Best Regards,
Dave Curry, Irish Mortgage Corporation
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/davecurryirl (LinkedIn profile and client testimonials)

Back