Lusk or Balbriggan

newhome

Hi,

I'm considering buying in either Lusk or Balbriggan. I know Lusk's main advantage is that it is closer to Dublin than Balbriggan, but Balbriggan has a lot more in it.
Just wondering your opionioins on these 2 places?
Do you think that Lusk will have more ammenities as time goes on?

Thanks

It's a lot easier to get to and from Balbriggan/dublin/ anywhere than from Lusk to dublin/anywhere...

that goes for car, train and bus.

I agree - Lusk is not great. South Louth is also another option, Motorway straight to Dublin.

What about in-between the two - Skerries. Lovely place good train service.
I've always found Balbriggan a bit grim. On the other hand Lusk is quite cut-off and a bit artificial in its exceedingly fast growth. Not sure how quickly ammenities would follow into Lusk. On the other-hand they have lots of nice-looking new housing.

I had the same problem, didnt know whether to buy in Balbriggan or Lusk. I settled for Balbriggan even though i wanted to live in Lusk, i thought Balbriggan was a bit grim, but have never regretted it. Your are nearer the train in Balbriggan, Balbriggan has more facilities, louds of pubs, disco bars, niteclub, some nice restaurants, beauty salons, curves, gym, Shopping has Dunnes, Supervalu, Tesco, Lidl and a new Aldi soon. New cinema meant to be opening soon. ODwyers new sports and leisure centre, although it wont be ready for 5 years. New shopping centre beside Dunnes just finished and new retail outlets being built beside Supervalu. I like Lusk but i got a bigger, nicer house in Balbriggan €15,000 cheaper than the one i was going for in Lusk. Lusk has no facilities you have to travel to Swords just to do your weekly shopping and the social life isnt great you would have to go to Swords or Skerries. I do agree that Skerries is a better alternative if you can afford it.

newhome said:
Hi,

I'm considering buying in either Lusk or Balbriggan. I know Lusk's main advantage is that it is closer to Dublin than Balbriggan, but Balbriggan has a lot more in it.
Just wondering your opionioins on these 2 places?
Do you think that Lusk will have more ammenities as time goes on?

Thanks

I don't know about Balbriggan but we moved to Lusk just over a year ago and have settled in well. Lusk Village estate is excellently designed - intimate, cosy with plenty of greenery. The village is backward however and the pubs leave a lot to be desired - they`re dives to be honest - but the place is developing fast and a new supermarket, health centre and cafe complex will be opening soon. As for transport _ it's half a mile from the train station.

hope this has helped.
(ps) don't go for chapel farm or dun emer estates - they are barren, unatrractive and a bit depressing

I would suggest Balbriggan, Funding for new schools already place, New Liffey Valley style shopping centre being planned along with new shopping outlets on the main street and at Dunnes Stores, Also Directly on the M1, its only 15 minutes to the Airport and the train service is quite good, 40 minutes to Connolly with regular trains at peak times. The added bonus of living by the Sea is great and there are lots more facilities than Lusk and lots more planned then lusk. As a commuter town, I think its a far better location than moving inland into Kildare and Meath.

Hi Guys,
Just to add my 2 cents, we bought in Dun Emer, Lusk in '03 and i've got to say we find it excellent. At the time we thought ballbriggin a bit too far, as had lived in city center for previous 8 years; but to be honest, in retrospect ANYWHERE in noth dublin, on the train line, is a short hop to town (25 min for lusk-connelly). we looked about rush, swords, skerries, donabate (and clonsilla); and decided that the Dun Emer estate offered by far the better value.
I should add i travel a fair bit, and so don't really use the 'village' to its extend. I agree that lusk is not as advanced as Balbriggin, but surely that stands to reason.
That said some things i'd disagree with:
1. Dun Emer is not dull and depressing. I think it was the better 'looking' house of all we looked at (a taste thing i know), and the size @ 1,178 sq.ft for a 3-bed is the best around by far. All the road meandar, so not many straight lines about the place (a nice change); theres great space front and back; no maintenace to speak of so far; cobble lock et al. Unforunately Chapel Farm has now been extended right into the front yards of the original Dun Emer residents, and it has pushed some to sell up. (i'm told that C Farm are well laid out inside, but god love us they are not easy on the eye).
2. I commute to town (tara st) every morning. It takes me 50min door to door. Its a mind-less/stressless commute - drive,park,train,5min walk. that said, its Irish Rail, who knows when the whells will come off in a big way. I work with a fella from cabinteely who takes longer than this on the bus in.

All that said, the Lusk train station is a COMPETE nightmare. If your not in there by 7.20, forget getting a space. even though its in the middle of the country, surrounded by green fields; you'd think land could be CPO'ed. 2 acres would future-proof the place for years.

its a 25 min walk from my hse to train platform. i'm about in the middle of the estate.

we've got good neighbours, and that helps GREATLY. in all our years in dublin center we never knew a soul next door :eek:)

bottom-line: we're happy in lusk; and anywhere in Nth county dublin on the train line is excellent to commute from; car or train. (town very close to lusk. 25 min at night from o connell st, maybe twice that in work hours). Night link is handy, and its on the meter for the taxi's. 30 eur from city center. Dun emer now has 2 creches, and a mini market of its own (latter 2 being fitted out as a type). that should help.
I'm told that Lusk is at the end of the house development cycle for now there will be a 5 year 'break' (once D Emer, Lusk Vvillage andChapel Farm estates are finished), and now the new school, amenietes etc will be supposedly build. Usual story, its anybody's guess

thats my piecie, thanks for reading.

Hi Guys,
Just to add my 2 cents, we bought in Dun Emer, Lusk in '03 and i've got to say we find it excellent. At the time we thought ballbriggin a bit too far, as had lived in city center for previous 8 years; but to be honest, in retrospect ANYWHERE in noth dublin, on the train line, is a short hop to town (25 min for lusk-connelly). we looked about rush, swords, skerries, donabate (and clonsilla); and decided that the Dun Emer estate offered by far the better value.
I should add i travel a fair bit, and so don't really use the 'village' to its extend. I agree that lusk is not as advanced as Balbriggin, but surely that stands to reason.
That said some things i'd disagree with:
1. Dun Emer is not dull and depressing. I think it was the better 'looking' house of all we looked at (a taste thing i know), and the size @ 1,178 sq.ft for a 3-bed is the best around by far. All the road meandar, so not many straight lines about the place (a nice change); theres great space front and back; no maintenace to speak of so far; cobble lock et al. Unforunately Chapel Farm has now been extended right into the front yards of the original Dun Emer residents, and it has pushed some to sell up. (i'm told that C Farm are well laid out inside, but god love us they are not easy on the eye).
2. I commute to town (tara st) every morning. It takes me 50min door to door. Its a mind-less/stressless commute - drive,park,train,5min walk. that said, its Irish Rail, who knows when the whells will come off in a big way. I work with a fella from cabinteely who takes longer than this on the bus in.

All that said, the Lusk train station is a COMPETE nightmare. If your not in there by 7.20, forget getting a space. even though its in the middle of the country, surrounded by green fields; you'd think land could be CPO'ed. 2 acres would future-proof the place for years.

its a 25 min walk from my hse to train platform. i'm about in the middle of the estate.

we've got good neighbours, and that helps GREATLY. in all our years in dublin center we never knew a soul next door :eek:)

bottom-line: we're happy in lusk; and anywhere in Nth county dublin on the train line is excellent to commute from; car or train. (town very close to lusk. 25 min at night from o connell st, maybe twice that in work hours). Night link is handy, and its on the meter for the taxi's. 30 eur from city center. Dun emer now has 2 creches, and a mini market of its own (latter 2 being fitted out as a type). that should help.
I'm told that Lusk is at the end of the house development cycle for now there will be a 5 year 'break' (once D Emer, Lusk Vvillage andChapel Farm estates are finished), and now the new school, amenietes etc will be supposedly build. Usual story, its anybody's guess

thats my piecie, thanks for reading.

Hi to you all..
We moved into Dun Emer estate over three years ago.. We have a beautiful home and garden, which was built by Dwyer Nolan and they are excellent.. For anyone that knows about builders, they never come back.. This can't be said for Dwyer Nolan.. They were excellent :) !! AND IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS THEY COME AND FIX IT FOR YOU UNTIL YOU ARE ENTIRELY HAPPY..
I enjoy living in a very quiet cul d sac, with great neighbours.. All of which I have met and my children play with theirs. Etc.. The new built creche is fantastic and the staff are amazing, helpful and considerate to everyone. My child is extremely happy and I have a lot of respect for the management and staff there. They are wonderful. "Learn To Grow".
In Dun Emer, we have great access for the kids, a new play ground for them shortly.. In the mean time, Gorgeous green areas for them to play in.. A football pitch, somewhere for the dogs to run around, peaceful walks, shops close by, kids can play outside without a lot of traffic and No fear of being run over!! No shootings, No crime to speak of!
We can open our window's and doors and hear No traffic, No pub noises, No sounds other than the kids playing happily.. What more could you ask for as a parent..
We have access to amazing parks that are within a five minute drive to Argillian and New Bridge house and farm. Plenty of football on hand here in Lusk, a Doctor's call out of service, a local Taxi service, a lovely chinese and our Local Chipper is great! 4 pubs, post office, video store, off licence, 2 chemist's ( both are great) Super Valu, and our Village store, second to none for feeding all the construction staff and our locals..
The local primary school is fantastic, the teacher's are very involved with the kids. There is a lot of after school activities for the kids, Gaa etc!! LOADS! Kids can walk in safety to school.. Neighbour watch and an active community spirit.. Soccer run by two different teams. GAA summer camps etc.. and so much more.. A local farmer that comes around with extremely fresh produce.. Hey, we all need to eat..
I have felt at home here for years.. None of this "Blow In's"!! We were welcomed here from the very begining.. Where else would you get that!! We Love it here!!
There is a resident committee here in Dun Emer.. "Everyone has their say".
Most of our neighbours commute to the city everyday some by train but the most of us by car, it is a rush during the times the kids are at school but the train is a distance from Lusk, two miles and the parking is not great unless you can arrive early, but the creche's don't open until 7:30 so the parking is gone by then.. "Message for all the councillor's, traffic management AND C.I.E.!! THEM ESPECIALLY! SOON they might get together and sort that one out.. The drive has a few hot spots where it is a bit slow.. ex. trying to get on to the M1 from the old M1.. That roundabout is a nightmare unless you arrive before 7:30/ 7:40 A.M.
You can be in the Q for 20 mins to get onto the motorway etc but after that, then you have the usual traffic city bound.. LOL

My point would be over all.. A Lot of us are extremely happy here n Dun Emer, Lusk and are delighted to live in a very beautiful part of North Dublin that has Beaches, parks, pubs, shops, tennis courts, clubs, school, post office, hair dressers, green area to play, close to the airport, not too far from Town, not near enough to the train tough, great enviroment!!!!!!!!
That's my point... I hope you enjoy reading it ;-)

I cant believe some of the nonsense I'm reading.

I'm sure balbriggan is great but how can you say its easier to get to Dublin than from lusk.

its at least 30 mins longer by bus! and its the same bus! actually more buses go to lusk than balbriggan as some terminate in skerries

its at least 15 mins longer by car! how could you claim its quicker to drive from balbriggan to dublin than from lusk to dublin, absolute nonsense

its at least 15 mins longer by train! i dont think this needs to be explained!

Also they are so different. how can you compare a big town to a country village! of course balbriggan has more facilities!

Its lifestyle choice not a facilities choice. Personnally I live in Lusk as I wanted that quiet village feel and to be that bit closer to Dublin. I commute to Dublin every day on the train and it saves me 30 mins round trip train time per day to be in Lusk than if I lived in Balbriggan.

I am new to north county Dublin and have to say I really like living in Lusk. Its a great place to live and I have found it very convienient to lots of major towns but it still has a lazy relaxed feel that I love.

I would recommend Lusk to anyone as a place to live who want a bit more of a laidback lifestyle but still want to be within easy reach of every service you would need. We are ten minutes (max) from swords, skerries, rush and the airport. 20 minutes from Drogheada, malahide and whitehall!

Fantastic roads, a great train and bus system. The nightlink is particularly good. 30 minutes from town as unlike the donabate nightlink it doesnt spend an hour driving around every estate in swords.

When it comes to schools we have three national schools, one in the village and two in the surrounding townlands.

Some of the businesses and clubs in lusk that I didnt know existed and you dont see unless you dig a bit!

In the village!

Chinese takeaway
Chinese restaurant (about to open)
great family butchers
great local vegetable shop
large day break (convienience store)
large super value
bookies
3 large chemists
metal works
large builders providers with hardware
2 creches
dedicated montasory
post office
chipper/pizza place
small video store
2 hairdressers
estate agent
main citroen dealer
main renault dealer
large used car dealer
motor factors
2 pubs (Murrays and the top shop)
2 club bars / the gaa club and soccer club
gaa club ( with astro turf pitch and large clubhouse)
soccer club with club house
black raven band (traditional pipe band)
old library now community centre with all kinds of clubs and classes
credit union

in the near surrounding townlands

new small hotel with restaurant
2 garden centres
pavng centre
two petrol stations one with a (supermacs)
ironing/drycleaning
plant hire
2 pubs / restaurants (murtaghs and the man o war)

the list go on...................

and there are five newly build retail buildings that I know of yet to be occupied

In short lusk has a lot and its a great place to live.

its at least 15 mins longer by car! how could you claim its quicker to drive from balbriggan to dublin than from lusk to dublin, absolute nonsense

The R132 and R127 both have 80kph limits, whilst the M1 has a 120 kph limit.

It a fact of the matter that travelling at the speed limits for those roads you would travel from Balbriggan to Dublin faster than you can travel from Lusk to Dublin, it's not something thats open to opinions.

its at least 30 mins longer by bus! and its the same bus! actually more buses go to lusk than balbriggan as some terminate in skerries

Anyone that I know that uses the bus between Balbriggan and Dublin uses Bus Eireann. More expensive but much quicker than getting the 33 from Lusk.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

I agree that the houses in Dunemer are lovely, Chael farm are not so attractive looking. The one thing that would make me think twice about Lusk at the moment is the planned Superdump. Has anyone an update on this?

I agree that the houses in Dunemer are lovely, Chael farm are not so attractive looking. The one thing that would make me think twice about Lusk at the moment is the planned Superdump. Has anyone an update on this?

It was granted planning permission on Friday.

Lusk is a pretty big townsland. The dump is actually west of the M1, past Five Roads.
If your main stomping ground is lusk village, and the roads into the city, you'll never be effected by it.

Lusk is a pretty big townsland. The dump is actually west of the M1, past Five Roads.
If your main stomping ground is lusk village, and the roads into the city, you'll never be effected by it.
Except the extra trucks on the roads in the area heading for the dump, potential leaching from the dump into groundwater, lower property prices in the general area. That's all I can think of in 20 seconds. Anyone else got anything?

Back