LTV change do I inform bank?

brickhouse

Hi,

We have our home 11yrs with 14 left, our original mortgage is variable and we have a 2nd tracker mortgage for an extension. Our origional mortgage is around 160K with the tracker 25K, homes on our estate without the extension are currently looking around the 250/260 mark.....
should we be looking to have our ltv rate reduced as we now have equity in the home?
We are with BOI

Unless there is something in your mortgage contract stating the bank will put you on a lower rate if your LTV drops I doubt they will do so without some prompting!

At the moment by your figures your total LTV is 71% or 74%. I think the more tempting rate offers usually are at 60% LTV. However some banks are offering cheaper rates at 80% too.

I think you need to have a look around and see what other banks will offer you before approaching BOI, that way you will be able to gauge their response. I think you do need to be careful about the tracker mortgage. Since you are not talking about a single mortgage it may complicate matters a bit.

Back