LPT on property in multiple units

BerProp

Can anyone confirm whether LPT is payable per property or payable per unit of property? The property in question has only 1 title and the units could not be sold as individual units as it currently stands. NPPR for 2013 was paid on the individual units but only 1 LPT charge paid. Liability is roughly the same whether valued as individual units or property as a whole. Anybody in a similiar situation receive confirmation form revenue on this matter?

It's per property, not per unit. It's different to the NPPR. You'll have to look it up on revenue.ie. There's also a thread on here somewhere about it.

It's per property, not per unit. It's different to the NPPR. You'll have to look it up on revenue.ie. There's also a thread on here somewhere about it.

Can't see anything on definitive on revenue.ie bar talk of "granny flats". I was convinced it was per property when I filed the 2013 LPT return but as I've seen no clarification from revenue in the meantime, I'm not so convinced now. NPPR & HC charges were clearly per unit - LPT charge seems ambiguous which can result in revenue taking differing approaches depending on who you speak to.

"Revenue have stated ... Where a building contains units that are not suitable for use as dwellings in their own right, such as a bedsit, the building as a whole should be valued for LPT purposes and one LPT Return should be filed.
Where an individual residential property within a building is suitable for use as a dwelling in its own right, (e.g. a self-contained dwelling such as an apartment) it should be valued as a single residential property for LPT purposes."

from http://www.*****************.com/landlords-and-the-property-tax.html

My query is regarding units that are suitable for use as dwellings in their own right. Revenue say this:

The strict legal position is that any self-contained dwelling, such as a granny flat, is treated as a separate residential property that will incur a separate LPT liability. However, Revenue recognises that certain types of dwelling that are an integral part of a larger building may be difficult to value and sell on the open market. Therefore Revenue will give a liable person the option of valuing a granny flat as part of the overall building where the liable person in relation to both parts of the building is the same.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/faqs/valuation.html

Back