Loughrea, Co. Galway

L

lunatic51

Hi. I am currently in teh process of re-locating from Dublin and have been looking at a new development roughly 4 miles outside of Loughrea town. My reasoning for not moving to Galway city itself is that it's nearly as expensive as Dublin!! Does anyone have any views/opinions on this area? Would it be a good place to buy? The development itself is called Croi an Bhaile.
Thanks in advance...

Personally, I would hate to make an investment in a place called " Croi an Bhaile".

Personally, I would hate to make an investment in a place called " Croi an Bhaile".

So what? The OP is relocating, so presumably they want to live in the development, as opposed to invest.

Is the development on the Galway or Dublin side of Loughrea? Will the commute be acceptable if you are working in Galway city? If so, where in the city are you working? East or West? Getting across the city in rush hour is no picnic.

It sounds very rural (4 miles from Loughrea)-will you have to use the car to get anywhere?

Loughrea (itself ) is very civilised, a good spot .

Yes, my plan is to live there as I will be working in the city centre. As far as I know it's roughly a half hour drive to the city...the development is on the Galway side of Loughrea - actually it's on the Loughrea-Athenry road and is just off the new Loughrea by-pass.

There is no way I caould afford the house prices in Galway or even anywhere close to there. I'm hoping that more people are in the same position as me with regard to affordability...as I hear that Loughrea town and surrounds will only increase in popularity as a satellite town..

you'll be doing very well to get into Galway city centre in half an hour from Loughrea in 30 mins, especially in peak hours...have you looked at houses in Athenry (assuming you're not set on Loughrea!), train station there, goes right into Galway city centre? You could then (depending on your company) get yourself a tax saver ticket. Driving from Athenry to Galway city centre will take anywhere from 20 - 50 mins, depending on traffic, time you leave, schools open etc...

Ballinsloe NO!

the toll will be between Ballinsaloe and Loughrea.

Allso be careful of where you can access the new road. Just because it goes through an area does not mean you can access it from there.

I know the development you are talking about or rather I know that it is one of two, either about a hundred yards from the Gate lodge pub or immediately behind it. Though I think it is the one about 100 yds down the road, which is being builted by O'rourkes. They look nice and the company has a reputation of building good houses.
On the plus you have a pub within walking distance, primary school accross the road, GAA grounds stone throw.
But on the down side nothing else, you are neither in Athenry or Loughrea.

Loughrea has benefited in recent months from the bypass It will take between 25 minutes quite time to 50 minutes peak time for you to get to Galway. This time may reduce with the new road as a lot of the traffic that currently passes through Lrea, craughwell etc will no longer but instead through Athenry. This may make a difference to commute time.
Loughrea has more in the line of shops, restaraunts etc than Athenry as Athenry was always a town where if people wanted to buy something they went to galway for it. Whereas lrea is much more a business town with people travelling in to shop there from surrounding villages etc.

I think you would be better of buying in either of these towns than in carrowbane.

I moved to Loughrea from Galway city. As said above, commuting times can be anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes depending on what time you leave. I work in Galway east, so if I leave Loughrea at 7:30am I can get there any time between 8:05 and 8:20am. Getting to the city centre will add more time. Oranmore is the biggest bottle neck on the way home in the evening.

Loughrea has alot to offer - restaurants, pubs, clothes shops, etc. You wouldn't be stuck for anything. It is a substantial town as opposed to a village. The nearest cinema is in Oranmore - about 20 minutes drive - for an evening show.

There are many new developments in Loughrea and there are plenty of recent developments where houses are up for sale. Our estate is 2 years old and a semi-d is going for about 265000. But I don't think they are quite getting that amount. Friends of mine payed 275000 for a detached in another estate.

hi id suggest you rent in galway prior to buying. loughrea nice but far from city so you'll be car dependent. make sure you're near a town or village (within walking distance) coz you don't want to be too isolated. rent for a while and check out the county before investing!

edited post.

Advice would be check out the area thoroughly, possibly check out the rush hour traffic both morning & evening for where you're considering buying - if you can, drive it yourself if you have a weekday free.
Definitely worth considering which side of Galway you'll be working and considering whether you want to live in the town itself, Loughrea, Athenry or wherever, or if you'd consider a quieter, more rural setting.

Of course this is all based on you're personal preferences & circumstances, but in your position, I'd investigate all possible commutes around Galway, in all directions.

Back