Loss in disability benefit - justified.

Plek Trum

Hi, just a quick question that I would like to hear your opinions on.
My partners father worked all his life, filed correct tax returns etc etc and never once received benefit of any kind for himself or his family (bar state childrens allowance).

Upon retirement he became ill and as a result had a double amputation of both legs. 5 years on, he is in receipt of disability payment.

A few months back, a private pension fund he had paid into while working and healthy matured and he received payment. Immediately however, his disability benefit was reduced as a result.

I appreciate that it may be means tested, (?) but does it not seem somewhat unjust? He worked hard and honestly all his life and now his disability benefit is reduced because he had the good sense to invest in a private pension when healthy (and paying all taxes due). It seems this penalisation is unfair?

I would appreicate your thoughts / info on this - thanks!

SW benefits are normally (always?) PRSI linked and not means tested. Are you sure that you are not referring to another SW payment (e.g. some allowance) which is means tested? For example - which, if any, of these is he getting? Means tested allowance payments may well be affected by additional means that the claimant receives either at the time of the claim or subsequently if circumstances change.

I'll find out exactly which it is Clubman, thanks for the clarity. It seems a tad unfair but I can appreicate if it is means tested. Will post when I know more...

If it is a means tested allowance that he gets then that may well be impacted by the receipt of additional income. Note that means tests normally disregard certain means. This is just the way that means tested allowance payments work. Whether one considers this fair or not is another discussion altogether.

Back