Looking to sell property and considering Estate Agent T&C's

Setanta12

Am reviewing one of the bigger E.A. for sale of Dublin property. These are pretty much a done-deal, cast in stone ... or do people insist on other extra clauses, such as .... ?

And what chance of success of these newer clauses being inserted?

What are you talking about, i dont really understand your post.

I would try to agree a flat fee. Some standard agreements seek 2.5% plus VAT. This is outrageous in current climate. You could also consider a bonus if sale price reached a certain level above an agreed price.

I sold during last few years.

I never heard that I could negotiate the contract with the EA.

This thread is the first ever time I have seen it discussed, and I have been on AAM for years.

I suspect that any EA will be very surprised if you attempt to negotiate the contract.

What we did discuss with our EA was:

(1) painting, appearance of house
(2) asking price

Depending on the location and type of property you are selling, it might be an idea to sell it yourself?

Sale agreed at the moment should be closing in the coming weeks, EA fee is 1.1% + vat + 350 advertising costs (up front)

Probably easier to shop around EAs than negotiating any significant discount. Unless you want a particular EA at any cost.

How much were advertising costs ?
On a recent Dublin house sale which was expected achieve €750K;

Lisneys and DNG both quoted 1% commission of the sale price plus around €1,000 including VAT for up front marketing costs, colour brochures, photography, sign, websites etc.

Photos in Thursday's Irish Times property supplement for 2 weeks were strongly advised at roughly €200 each, doubles were encouraged, so an additional €800 if you went for those, but they are optional. They argued, with their marketing, they could get a better price than a smaller agent so it would be money well spent.

Many local agents charge substantially less for marketing costs, some have none at all but might charge a higher percentage commission.

Like everything else, crunch the numbers as best as you can.

Every house is different, I don't think there is a one for all answer.

Photos in Thursday's Irish Times property supplement for 2 weeks were strongly advised at roughly €200 each, doubles were encouraged, so an additional €800 if you went for those, but they are optional.

Does this strategy still work, I was if the understanding very few houses attract buyers attention from the property pages of newspapers.

I was of the understanding very few houses attract buyers attention from the property pages of newspapers.
That was the general opinion here to;

Went sale agreed 2 weeks ago. I paid 1% + VAT as a commission and €350+VAT as advertisement fee. I got quotes from 3 others and they were just 1% + VAT (no ad cost). I didn't go with the "big names" as they didn't return my calls which made me think that they will do the same with the potential buyers of my property on sale.

Back