looking for information (all sorts) about starting up a restaurant.

Re: Restaurant advice

I too am in the same boat (looking to open a restaurant). I think you should go for it. You will soon run into problems though, which will in turn help you figure out if this is really what you want or had thought it was going to be like. Do you have your location picked out? Do you know how much you'll need to get started? Have you worked out your break even point? I think getting a part time job in the industry would be advisable but the best way to learn is by making mistakes! Obviously try and avoid these in the first place but some are inevitable. As long as you are doing it for the right reasons (primarily to make money). I think the reason for the high failure rate (which is actually something of a myth) is that people get in to the business of a coffee shop/sandwich bar/restaurant thinking that just because they eat out all the time or know a few people in the business, they could do it as well as the next person. Also there is something of a romantic notion about owning your own place, especially a pub or restaurant. Another big problem is the fact that most successful places are just that because of the owner. No one is going to be as committed to your business as YOU. This leads to the problem that when you’re sick of working late nights and weekends in a high pressure environment, your business usually takes a step back in profit as you try to step back from it. Have you looked into a franchise?? This is a much safer way to enter the market and would give you great experience in the running of your own place. Also it is much easier to step away from (if you wanted to pursue your hotel or shipping dreams) as they are run on a strict set of guide lines and rules. I could talk endlessly on this topic but feel I should leave it there for the moment. Hope this is helpful and good luck with what ever you do.

On the plus side, Ireland is crying out for good food and good service at a fair price. The standard out there at the moment is incredibly poor, in my opinion. If you can crack that, the punters will come flocking to your doors.

Re: Restaurant advice

I too am in the same boat (looking to open a restaurant). I think you should go for it. You will soon run into problems though, which will in turn help you figure out if this is really what you want or had thought it was going to be like. Do you have your location picked out? Do you know how much you'll need to get started? Have you worked out your break even point? I think getting a part time job in the industry would be advisable but the best way to learn is by making mistakes! Obviously try and avoid these in the first place but some are inevitable. As long as you are doing it for the right reasons (primarily to make money). I think the reason for the high failure rate (which is actually something of a myth) is that people get in to the business of a coffee shop/sandwich bar/restaurant thinking that just because they eat out all the time or know a few people in the business, they could do it as well as the next person. Also there is something of a romantic notion about owning your own place, especially a pub or restaurant. Another big problem is the fact that most successful places are just that because of the owner. No one is going to be as committed to your business as YOU. This leads to the problem that when you’re sick of working late nights and weekends in a high pressure environment, your business usually takes a step back in profit as you try to step back from it. Have you looked into a franchise?? This is a much safer way to enter the market and would give you great experience in the running of your own place. Also it is much easier to step away from (if you wanted to pursue your hotel or shipping dreams) as they are run on a strict set of guide lines and rules. I could talk endlessly on this topic but feel I should leave it there for the moment. Hope this is helpful and good luck with what ever you do.

thanks for the advice. It is nice to get a positive reply, not that there was a big negative one, but I am of the opinion that you learn by mistakes. when I was in the coffee shop it was hard work. Demanding times etc so i understand what hard work is, believe me as i have been in very demanding positions. I was going to take a franchise from a very well established sandwich / cafe company but found them difficult, asking for too much and also after meeting with them and having numerous calls and contact with the same person in the company they didnt even remember me when I wanted to persue a couple of months later so i told them where to go in no uncertain terms;). i am looking at the moment to possably buy an existing business with existing cash flow so I can hit the ground running. I am not opposed to starting a fresh and do have ideas of where I want to go.

with regard to capitol, I have some but will need a small investment too.

i am prob going to go into a partnership as this gives some flexability to push the business on and branch out or start new ventures. It also gives you the option to be bought out if you want to leave to do other things and also It is a great way to generate ideas and learn new things.

please excuse any spelling mistakes. in a hurry :)

Back