Looking for a new sofa... any ideas where to start?

ericsson

Currently looking to buy a new sofa and looking for some advice on where to get one? Im ideally looking for a corner sofa and an armchair that is material and not leather. I saw one in Cost Plus Sofas a few months ago and fell in love with it but alas when I went in last week they no longer stock it. I have asked if they could perhaps order it in for me or be able to source it and I was told they would ring me back... 2 weeks later and they still havent phoned me back. I have had terrible dealings with Cost Plus Sofas over the past couple of years so perhaps its for the best I dont get one there anyway!

Everyone is saying there is great value to be had at the minute but I must be looking in the wrong places... Went to Reids today but unfortunately didn't see anything I liked...

Anyone able to recommend anywhere? I am based in Dublin City.

Thanks in advance,
Ericsson :)

Got ours in Cost Plus Sofa. Very cheap, great and comfy. Found them great to deal with too.

We spent weeks looking for a nice material suite must've been to about 20 places, in the end we gave in and bought a leather one from Diamond Living. I've come around to leather but it wasn't what I originally wanted. It seems to me that most furniture stores aren't carrying as much choice as they used to.

You could try heading to Navan some time if you can't find anything you like in Dublin, there are a good few furniture shops in Beechmount industrial estate. It does seem to be mostly leather out there though. Good luck with the search!

Try Beechmount HomePark in Navan - full of furniture shops, including some local manufacturers. My friend bought one there recently at half price!

[broken link removed]

Ikea, opening in Dublin at the end of July, have a very big range of sofas, including corner units and they are very good value. I have a three-seater fabric Karlstad and am delighted with it, I would not have been able to afford a similar style if I hadn't gone to Ikea. (My one is not a corner unit but they do have corner units in this model).

The Irish site isn't operational yet, but you can see the range on their UK site here http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10661/

I looked for months for the perfect sofa, even moved in to my new house and was still looking. I wanted a simple fabric or leather narrow arm 3 seated ! impossible as every thing i saw had large rounded arms and very bulky. so one day i was wondering around a second hand furniture shop in Tralee and there is was waiting for me !
so why not try see if it works for you ?
i am sure the some one has what your looking for .

I'm sorry can't help OP, I'm having the same problem. Hope you don't mind if I ask KARENJ where the 2nd hand furniture shop is in Tralee?

I looked for months for the perfect sofa, even moved in to my new house and was still looking. I wanted a simple fabric or leather narrow arm 3 seated ! impossible as every thing i saw had large rounded arms and very bulky.

Karenj, that's exactly what I wanted, I know exactly what you mean about the thick arms, they take up so much space and they're not even "sit area". If you're tight for space it's infuriating. As I say, I found what I was looking for in the Ikea Karlstad range.

I'm sorry can't help OP, I'm having the same problem. Hope you don't mind if I ask KARENJ where the 2nd hand furniture shop is in Tralee?

i lived in Tralee some years ago and there was a second hand/antique furniture shop up near the GAA field and train station. Coming from Argos, towards the train station, turn right at 1st set of lights and the shop would be on the left before you get to the station. It was a funny sort of shop, you could find anything in there. Great to poke around in. :)

you could also try any local antique auctions. there are always lots of suites and individual chairs/sofas available.

There's one in Tralee: www.kerryauctionrooms.com i have no connection with this business and have never had deaings with them, but i get their newsletter every month.

I would highly recommend Boconcept sofas (www.boconcept.ie), which can be purchased through Boconcept Beacon South Quarter and Living in Bray (www.living.ie).

I bought my sofa there about 2 years ago, after searching many many many sofa warehouses.......

I was lucky with Cost Plus Sofas here in Cork. The corner unit I ordered arrived exactly on the day they said it would, in perfect condition, and only for above 1000€
And believe me, it's huuuuuge and comfy. I just love it. I'm missing it now that I'm at work *lol* ;)

BTW, I have no connection at all with that shop.

Try these guys, you will have a pretty much unlimted choice of style and fabrics. Bought a corner sofe here 4 years ago, service excellent and lovely quality furniture, based in Blackpitts, D8. It isn't cheap, but in my opinion the quality is far superior to anything you will get in the discount chains.

No affiliation!!

thanks for all your posts everyone. went to another shop on the kylemore road yesterday (the pink shop across from classic furniture) and saw two nice sofas, one was beautiful for 1200 but it would have been to big for my room. The other one was 2k but i found myself asking surely this is too much money for a corner suite? i mean there wasnt even a pouffe or an armchair with it. Made my way out to Domus in Blanch this morning and saw a lovely corner there for 1300... tempted by it. Anyone else buy anywhing from Domus? If so how have you found the customer service/quality? Payed another visit to Cost Plus Sofas again and still nothing floated my boat. Also went to Diamond Living and didnt see anything there. Am I just being too fussy?

Try these guys, you will have a pretty much unlimted choice of style and fabrics. Bought a corner sofe here 4 years ago, service excellent and lovely quality furniture, based in Blackpitts, D8. It isn't cheap, but in my opinion the quality is far superior to anything you will get in the discount chains.

No affiliation!!
Another vote for Sofa Factory. Good range of styles and shapes. Plus you can order any sofa in any fabric from their library. Obviously this can add to the price if you're going for something fancy, but at least you'll have a sofa that no one else has!

If looking for a sofa you get a great choice at any of the following destinations with numerous shops and plenty of choice, Airside in Swords, Beechmount HomePark Navan and Carrickmines.

Back