Long Term Illness / Benefit & Work

R

roycroper

Hello just looking for some advice or suggestions, as I have hit a wall at the moment with social affairs.
Due to a chronic and long term illness I have been in receipt of illness benefit since 2006. In September 2007 I was granted an exemption to go back to work part time. I have been able to do 12 to 20 hours most weeks. This exemption was extended twice and was reviewed again in February this year and it has been deemed that the rehabilitative and therapeutic benefit of my exemption has been exhausted. I asked for a review and sent in supporting medical evidence, however this was also turned down. I am now to decide whether to send in a P45 give up work and become totally dependent on the state or send in a final cert, which my doctor is reluctant to do as I am still undergoing treatment for my illness and am not physically able to go back to full time work yet.
I was wondering if anyone knows is there any schemes or benefits available to someone who wants to work but can only do so part time because of illness.
Citizens Information have told me I would be better off by giving up work and claiming additional benefits, medical card etc.
I really do not want to do this as doing some work actually helps me cope mentally with my illness.

Sorry about the long post I tried to condense things as best I could

the first thing i have to say is that you are an insperation to us all.What courage you have .Well done.Might i suggest you do charity work as a way of keeping your mind busy.Its very rewarding work.Im assuming you work to help you mentally and that you dont actually need the money.If im wrong forgive me .God bless and best of luck

Welfarite - This seems to be closed since May 2009 to new applicants?

i am on disability allowence as apposed to benifit, i have a long term illness and like you cannot work full time. i am intitalled to work up to 20 hours per week and or up to 120 euro. so ask your welfare person about dis allowence????? feel free to pm me if i can help with anything else

Back