Lodger - monthly payment but leaving mid month

Gordanus

I've had a lodger for the last few months - a university student from abroad, studying in Ireland for a few months. Moved in 25th Jan, moving out 14th June. Monthly rent was paid in advance (didn't seem to realise that a deposit is separate to rent - I'll clarify this in the next agreement!). Has made 5 monthly payments, so is paid up to 25 June. Do I owe him 2 weeks rent back, as he claims? I think it's 10 days, but as the rent is monthly I figured to give back a weeks' rent.

Is this fair?

Can I specify on the next agreement that rent is paid up to the end of each month ie. to be paid on the 1st of each month for the entire month, and if they move out mid-month the remainder is forfeited? Or is this just mean?

Not knowing the money and accommodation involved here are my thoughts:-

1. There is only a few days rent involved 14 days against 10 days and probably no "written in stone" contract not worth arguing about. I'd refund the two weeks.

2. "Is this fair?" Probably not, but a valuable lesson learned.

3. Next time out:- Rent over a four week period contract (not monthly) and you will have no problems calculating individual rent days later.

4. If a person leaves two days into the last moiety of the arrangement, I would think it mean to charge him/her for the last 26 days.

Personally, as a live-in landlord, I only collect rent for the days that the lodger is in my property. Also, if a lodger leaves, say, a week into the month, you may well be collecting rent twice for the same period if you manage to re-let the room again quickly. This is especially so if you have been give a month's notice and have plenty of time to get a new lodger.

Back