Locks on front door- is it a rip off?

cmalone

Locksmith came and fitted 2 new 'barrels' on door locks on front door 180 euro, but both handles and mechanisms need to be replaced and he quoted additional 250 euro.

Can anyone advise? What is typical rate- standard house!

Locksmith came and fitted 2 new 'barrels' on door locks on front door 180 euro, but both handles and mechanisms need to be replaced and he quoted additional 250 euro.

Can anyone advise? What is typical rate- standard house!

can u bit clearer on exactly what was done here
type of door: wood pvc, etc

what type of mechanism?
5 point locking or just a bog standard set of handles

why 2 barrels on one door?

why type of locks?

see here

locks

yes 1 five point lock and one standard on top

(2 barrels were put on by the 'locksmith'!)

Timber door

Didn't you ask for quotes beforehand? Doesn't sound that bad in fact, given labour, parts, travel...

Didn't you ask for quotes beforehand? Doesn't sound that bad in fact, given labour, parts, travel...

the 180 seems okay, the call out is usually 120 plus say 30 a barrel

the additional 250 seems a bit steep but the OP seems unwilling to state clearly what he got done so any further comment is useless

locks

the locksmith simply replaced the barrels x 2 (10 mins r less!) and said the job was complete... even though handle for door and latch is virtually faling off the door...

You were ripped off. big time. Assuming the info you give is correct and the locks are standard euro cylinders you should have paid about 90.
I would like to know who charged you this.

Are you in Bundoran? was the locksmith travelling from cork? at three in the morning? in a taxi? did he supply gucci antisnap locks with gold inlay?

I would suspect you paid over the odds alright.

Allowing he paid €15 per barrel then €150 for 10mins work + call out is a bit steep in these times.

Rip off lock smith- West Dublin

Yes 'locksmith' based in Lucan- responsed to leaflet through letterbox unfortunately!

However, all is not lost- found a new firm in Tallaght and they were amazing, no rip-off, no cheeky attitude- Just genuine friendly service and prices that won't break the bank!!

Yes 'locksmith' based in Lucan- responsed to leaflet through letterbox unfortunately!

However, all is not lost- found a new firm in Tallaght and they were amazing, no rip-off, no cheeky attitude- Just genuine friendly service and prices that won't break the bank!!

Im confused.......... you paid lucan locksmith 250 to do a job, and then got a tallaght locksmith to do the same thing?

Am I missing something here?

Locks

Apologies for confusion- paid the Tallaght company 110 to do the job that they Lucan locksmith said cost 250!

I have similar issue with my front door lock now.....can lock the door but not able to take the key out of the lock! What was the name of that love smith in tallaght??

Assuming that your lock is one of those where you lift the handle up to engage the 3 or 4 or 5 locking pins in the edge of the door, the fix is really easy. I have just had the same issue as you, whereby I couldn't remove the key from the barrell when I locked the door.
There will be one screw in the edge of the door which is the only thing holding the barrell in place. Remove this screw, and with the key still in the barrell, you will be able to remove the barrell by pulling - you may have to turn the key slightly so that the cam in the barrell lines up for removal. Once you have the barrell out you will need to measure the overall length of the barrell. You will also need to note the poisition of the cam relative to the overall length of the barrell - it won't necessarily be exactly in the middle.
At this stage you can take the barrell (or just the measurements) to your nearest hardware store or Woodies etc. and get a replacement. I got my replacement in O'Brien's Hardware on Talbot St. and it cost me the princely sum of Eur16.90. Installation is the reverse of removal. 5 minute job.
Hope this helps.

If replacing Euro Cylinders, make sure you get the anti-snap variety. The standard ones are just too easy break through as one of my neighbours discovered recently.
Leo

Back