lock on front door problem

spursman

hi there everyone
i have a house thats 2 yrs old. i have a standard estate type wooden front door with a lock that you pull up the handle and turn key to lock

i have a problem in that the lock is getting stiffer and stiffer and now i cant lock the door at all. is it possible to replace the lock or does the door have to go? who could i talk to about this?

thanks

Yes it is possible to replace just the lock.
When the door is ajar , is it any easier to operate the locking mechanism?

the handle moves but wont move into the last position as in it should move up to the top to lock it, it wont go this far. works ok other levels , if its closed for a while and you go to open it by pusing the handle down it gets stuck then too and u have to force it

Have you tried oiling the lock with 3 in 1 Oil or WD40 Oil, it might just need this, I oil locks regularly including the locks on the double glazed windows as they get stiff over time

yeah i tried that and no good. wud i b able to replace the lock myself or who could i get? carpenter? locksmith?

Has the door warped slightly over time? Is it a multi-point locking door?

im fairly sure its a multi point locking door. dont see how it could warp, its only 2 yrs old

1,has the door dropped ,2,can you adjust hindges it might need a little adjusting3,door might have swelled up and lock keep might need adjusting

im fairly sure its a multi point locking door. dont see how it could warp, its only 2 yrs old

Wood can warp within days. Take a long straight edge and hold it against the door. If the door is true, then the mechanism probably just needs lubrication.

yeah i tried that and no good. wud i b able to replace the lock myself or who could i get? carpenter? locksmith?

If you are any way handy with a screwdriver then it is a job you can do yourself, as I have done a few times over the years.

These locks are generally made out of cheap white met(crap)al.

Remove the locking mechanism, disconnect the multi point rods and then bring the lock to a locksmith so he can match it with a new one.

Refitting is just the reversal of removal, don't forget to lightly grease all moving parts.

i have sprayed oil at it b4 but its kind of hard to oil the part in question as its inside. ill take off the lock so first and try and oil it, if that works great, if not then ill bring to locksmith

thanks

sorry when you say remove the lock. will that involve taking the handle etc to the locksmith or just hte lock itself???

you know where your locking device is on door and them it locks into metal plates on frame,the metal plates on frame might need adjusting,have a go

if the lock still does not operate smoothly when the door is open its unlikely that it has anything to do with the door jam or metal striker or hinges on the jam, my guess is that its either the lock itself or one of the levers for the multi point locking system is damaged,with the lock removed you can check that all the levers on the door for the multipoint locking system are sliding smoothly,if they are then its down to the lock itself and as previously suggested you can bring it to a locksmith.

www.handyman999.ie

Wood can warp within days. Take a long straight edge and hold it against the door. If the door is true, then the mechanism probably just needs lubrication.

That's a large generalisation, there are many different kinds of woods some are very prone to warping and some are not.

I don't believe wooden doors should have the multi-locking systems installed on them as they are prone to movement (expansion and contraction).

if the lock still does not operate smoothly when the door is open its unlikely that it has anything to do with the door jam or metal striker or hinges on the jam, my guess is that its either the lock itself or one of the levers for the multi point locking system is damaged,with the lock removed you can check that all the levers on the door for the multipoint locking system are sliding smoothly,if they are then its down to the lock itself and as previously suggested you can bring it to a locksmith.

[broken link removed]

i would have thought this also. i just opened the door there, tried to pull the handle up to its highest level and it got stuck and was stuck again putting the handle back down.

Back