Location, Location, Location gets praise from the Irish Times

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From yesterday's Q&A in the Irish Times Property Supplement

Question:
As someone new to Dublin ...I am having difficulty in getting the real low down on developments I am interested in, stuff like what it's like to live there, are the other tenants noisy, what the neighbourhood is like, the real commute into the city, etc. Obviously the estate agent talks everything up so I can't really go with what she says, and if I was from Ireland I might know more people that I could ask, Any suggestions?

Answer:
It can be difficult getting a handle on a neighbourhood. Preumably you have tried the obvious things, such as visiting the area at different times of the day and night, asked the agent what the ratio of investors to owner-occupiers is(the latter tend to make for a more stable environment);called into the local Garda station to get an idea of crime levels, looked at things that are important to you i.e. the local supermarket, schools etc. If there is any vacant land around the apartment you could check with the local planning office to see if anything is earmarked for the site. And there's a very lively discussion forum on the excellent www.askaboutmoney.com website in the "Location, Location,Location" thread where emailers can seek information about various developments.

Hello all,
I actually signed up on the strength of that article, as I'd not heard about these boards before. Nice to meet you all :)

Hi Yazuka,

Welcome to AAM :)

Hope you enjoy the board, get some good advice and don't become as addicted as the rest of us.

Sueellen.

Hi Yakuza,
Did exactly the same as you. Never heard of this board before that article, and somehow I seem to now be be giving my opinions on areas to several people!!! As long as the moderators keep an eye on the board for developers singing the praises of bad developments, it seems like a good forum. As long as advice is taken with a pince of salt, as per all discussion forums.
Daithi.

The only property I own is the roof over my head, but I saw the article in the property section of The Irish Times and thought I should post the recommendation given in the paper. My own introduction to the site was via The Sunday Tribune a few years ago, but I didn't even view it that much. Do you know I think it was the Langer Man himself ( Eddie Hobbs ) that prompted me to log on more often.

Back